Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 09:53 AM

Default AQo -- I can think of 46 turn cards I would have preferred

The table was great -- kind of LAGgy preflop, but not particularly aggressive or tricky postflop. For my part, I was tired and forcing myself to keep playing.

BB is 36/19/1.1 after 76 hands. The most unusual thing I'd seen him do was raise 44 in EP. Overall, he seemed to be playing decent cards. (He had been showing down pocket pairs and suited and offsuit broadway cards.) I don't really know what kind of hands he defends with.

CO is 70/7/1.5 after 327 hands.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks . . .

Okay, it's my action. What I did first was curse at my computer. What should my plan be after that?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: AQo -- I can think of 46 turn cards I would have preferred

I'd check behind and call a non [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] river. Yes it's weak, but that way you can almost always get to showdown and you might get him to bluff.

The main reason to bet is that the BB could have a had like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I can actually think of a lot of hands that the BB is behind with and still calls.

How are you dealing with a cr?
Old 10-29-2005, 12:03 PM

whew i'm really tempted to fired again and call down if raised. there are other 2 pair hands out there too that we beat and i'd hate to give a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] a free card.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whew i'm really tempted to fired again and call down if raised. there are other 2 pair hands out there too that we beat and i'd hate to give a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was something I wondered about during the hand: If I bet and get checkraised, should I call down, hoping that I'm ahead often enough to make up for the (more frequent) occasions when I'm chasing a boat against the odds?

I wasn't sure. I mean, I don't think Villain really should checkraise, say, JT or QJ. He's nearly always behind anyway versus a preflop raiser (versus my UTG range, in any case), and I don't think he should really expect to have much folding equity.

The board is pretty scary for anyone without a king (and, as a PFR, I have a good chance of having one, from Villain's perspective). So I was thinking a fold was probably the way to go if I bet and got checkraised. But, like I said, I wasn't sure. And I'm still not sure. Among other things, Villain's early-position PFR range seemed wider than mine, and I don't know how much he might've been putting me on a range more like his.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:06 AM

would it make sense to bet and fold to a raise? that still gets you to showdown for one bet if the river gets checked through, plus its an opportunity to pick up a pot. still getting called sux though. if the turn gets checked through do you bet the river? are these tricky players? I think i would be more inclined to check and call down a non club river. that way if BB c/r you can probably get away from the hand. Its weak but maybe the best. if you bet and get raised you have to fold... but if you can get to the river for a single bet that gives you the possibility to improve for cheap. man that really is a nasty card... probably check and call down...
(sorry i worked this out in my head as i was typing it)
Old 10-30-2005, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would it make sense to bet and fold to a raise? that still gets you to showdown for one bet if the river gets checked through, plus its an opportunity to pick up a pot. still getting called sux though. if the turn gets checked through do you bet the river? are these tricky players? I think i would be more inclined to check and call down a non club river. that way if BB c/r you can probably get away from the hand. Its weak but maybe the best. if you bet and get raised you have to fold... but if you can get to the river for a single bet that gives you the possibility to improve for cheap. man that really is a nasty card... probably check and call down...
(sorry i worked this out in my head as i was typing it)

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of thoughts:

If I bet, I'm not sure it's so bad if I get called. I think maybe that's what I'm hoping for, since I doubt Villain will fold anything I want him to anyway.

Or maybe I just mean I'd prefer to get called over getting checkraised. The thing is (if I did get checkraised), even if I knew for certain the checkraise meant I was behind, my decision would still be pretty close, I think, as I'd potentially have four full outs to a boat plus three (or, on rare occasion, four) chopping outs. (Villain might be holding one of the queens or aces I'm hoping to catch, though, and if he's got the T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], then the K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] isn't a chopping out for me. And, of course, if he happened to turn a flush, then all I can hope for is a boat.)

One thing that occurred to me during the hand is that Villain could have something like 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and I wouldn't want to give a free card to that. The reason this seemed possible to me was that in the hand where he open-raised 44 in EP, he got 3-bet and then check-called all the way successfully in a heads-up pot versus his opponent's unimproved AK. The board wasn't nearly as scary during that hand though (the highest card was a queen on the turn), so in retrospect I don't think an underpair is a very likely hand for Villain.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Here\'s the entire hand.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 5.20 BB

I don't know if I played the hand correctly or not, but the postflop action did leave me wondering what it was that Villain had.