Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Why will you never go pro?

[ QUOTE ]
I want to have an M.D. after my name.

[/ QUOTE ]

It aint all it's cracked up to be.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:51 PM

I don't want to do it for status reasons. At the moment I don't envision myself doing much else. I don't care about the title so much as the job, I just thought saying it that way was more interesting than "I would rather be a Doctor."
Old 07-18-2005, 11:51 PM

$400-500K before taxes, retirement savings, medical plan, pension, dental plan, vacation, etc etc wouldn't be a 'rich lifestyle'. Upper middle class, sure, but a lot of those things are going to cost a lot more because you are on your own instead as part of an employer group.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:59 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

good post
Old 07-19-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Every single pro complains that its stressful

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that online-poker pro is for everybody...but I do want to address this point.
I have stated on several occasions that online-poker-pro is easily the LEAST stressful job that I've ever had...and it's not even close.
No attitude-prick boss hounding you about one thing or another. No phone-calls that need to be returned post-hasts. No pressure for overtime unless I feel like putting in more hours.

Online-poker-pro is not the end-all-be-all. I find it to be a bit boring in some ways even though I still enjoy it.
But stressful it does not need to be even with the income fluctuations.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:37 AM

Agree completely. For me, at times game selection can be more stressful and involve more mental energy than the game itself.

I don't like to sit at table with 9 other 1-2BB/100 winners. So when you are trying to get an absurd number of hands in every month, which is draining enough as it is, and then you add the challenge of constantly having to play your A game and constantly making sure you are playing in games where your A game is worth someting, it becomes a lot harder than it sounds.

Nigel
Old 07-19-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$400-500K before taxes, retirement savings, medical plan, pension, dental plan, vacation, etc etc wouldn't be a 'rich lifestyle'. Upper middle class, sure, but a lot of those things are going to cost a lot more because you are on your own instead as part of an employer group.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke?

Where the [censored] do you live?

I dont know where to start with this statement.
But if u invested just 100 grand a year in Mutual funds for ten years at a 10% return u wont need pensions and retirement funds, etc.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Every single pro complains that its stressful

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that online-poker pro is for everybody...but I do want to address this point.
I have stated on several occasions that online-poker-pro is easily the LEAST stressful job that I've ever had...and it's not even close.
No attitude-prick boss hounding you about one thing or another. No phone-calls that need to be returned post-hasts. No pressure for overtime unless I feel like putting in more hours.

Online-poker-pro is not the end-all-be-all. I find it to be a bit boring in some ways even though I still enjoy it.
But stressful it does not need to be even with the income fluctuations.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty good description of what it's like for me too. Sometimes it's boring, sometimes I can't wait to get on the tables. I always love to read and study poker though. If there is any stress caused by running bad, it's from the idea that maybe I just suck at poker and won't be able to keep moving up. Actually the stress comes from the idea that if this is true, I will have to go back and find a job working for some attitude-prick boss.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:09 AM

1. I have a good degree from a good school and have a very well paying job that isn't that hard. While I hate it and would LOVE to play poker for a living, it would be difficult for me to maintani my current income with only poker.

2. I'm not the gambling type, I don't think I have the emotional stability to play for large sums of money. Since I have mad money (see above) I can play liek 1/2 and 2/4 and make some fun money and I enjoy theg ame and the competition but if I lose, who cares ya know?

3. It's hard to come back from being a pro poker player to hte "regular" world. I would hate my job a billion times more and would have a huge gap in my resume, etc.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:21 AM

I live in a country that doesn't tax gamling winnings and has an OK public healthcare system. Mwhahahahahahah.

If I could play 10k hands a week of 30/60 at 1BB/100 for 40 weeks a year, I would be happily laughing all the way to the bank.

Making returns on that kind of money isn't too difficult with a little work, if/when the poker thing bursts.