Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Seems like you guys spend more time talking about money than poker

I'm sure you were never a losing player before, always a winner right from day 1, winning big money, right?

I didn't think so
Old 12-23-2005, 03:54 AM

Maybe you should try looking through this forum a little bit more carefully. It's the best poker resource available online and probably the most valuable resource period. Try contributing some of your ideas in other people's posts; you might actually learn something.
Also have fun going to jail after you win the WSOP and dodge taxes.

PS- Telling us about your broken hand and begging for pity is quite a bit more off topic than people discussing taxes.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:17 AM

Cut your losses and stop pissing people off man. Most people here are very wiling to help you out. Some have, but you didn't read all the posts in your previous threads. So you made a mistake and didn't realize which forum you should be posting in, it's not a big deal. Just move on and try to contribute and learn.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you were never a losing player before, always a winner right from day 1, winning big money, right?

I didn't think so

[/ QUOTE ]

A number of the winners on these forums were winners from Day 1. We approached the game by reading quality 2+2 books, and in stakes we were bankrolled for, and were helped as we started by the amazing amount of information on this forum.

We didn't have to post to get this. We just read strategy posts, hand posts, bankroll posts, bonus whoring posts, anything we could. Hell, I didn't register for months after first visiting 2+2, since I didn't need to post to get the info I needed, I just had to look for it.

And by looking for it, I managed to find 5 related or totally unrelated threads that helped my game on top of the answer to the question I was looking for.

So once I started playing online poker, I was a winner. Before this, I had just played nickel and dime games of 7 Card Stud as Middle and High Schooler, and ignored Poker through my first two years of college.

If you subscribe to the theory that anything worth doing is worth doing right, you will find those sort of people began their poker careers as winners.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:03 AM

Dude, don't be so sensitive.

And FWIW, I would wait until I no longer described myself as a fish before I started throwing out Heads-up challenges.

AND don't be offended, I am truly curious in a Keeping-up-sort-of-way, did you really have to go all the way up to 32 to use Thundercat as a Moniker ? I think Barney and Teletubbie are both unused.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't think so

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have been.
Yes, I've been paid for writing about poker.
Yes, I've been on TV for a poker tournament.

I believe that satisfies all of your "poker requirements" that you've put out so far in this thread. So that makes me qualified to say:

You're a douche, and unless you lose the attitude, you'll never amount to anything at poker.

Have a nice day.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't think so

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough, the first time I played poker I lost $5. The next time I won $15. A couple weeks later I deposited $50 online. By the time I lost that I had won a couple hundred playing with friends. Then I deposited another $50. A year later and it has turned into $XX,XXX.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-25-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't think so

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I've been a winning player since day 1.

2) I pay taxes on my winnings.

3) Quit being a dick.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
talking about TAXES????? Who gives a bleep!, just play poker, do you think that when Phil Ivey, Chris Ferguson, Gus Hansen, Daniel Negreanu, or any poker pro got to the point you are at now, they started thiking about taxes and asking questions like, can you really make $100,000 a year online playing poker?

[/ QUOTE ]
I assure you they thought about taxes like any responsible person not wanting to owe the IRS a lot of money with very possible prison time. Also I don't believe online poker was booming like it is now otherwise they probably would have thought about it too.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:11 PM

thundercat32,

you responded with a lot of energy and thought, plus you are named after the thundercats and i appreciate that. i don't remember the thundercats names but my favorite one was the short blue guy with a bald head. he was like the engineer i think, and did a lot of behind the scenes strategy, even though lion-o got all the credit. and also when the time came the blue guy could handle himself on the front line, with those giant spikes on his shoulders.

but you're right we should always as poker players be motivated for bigger and better things. this site is useful for doing so, but this site is also useful i feel for allowing players to share and compare their winnings and to ask questions about things like real estate and taxes, which in a sense is just counting our money as you say, but it's an indirect way of talking about money and successes, so poker players enjoy conversing about such seemingly boring topics as united states tax law. what i'm saying is, i enjoy watching my bankroll grow and i like wondering about the possible real world implications of having more money in my pocket, and if a poker player can't get happy counting the money he just won sitting there doing nothing, then this game wouldn't be nearly so enjoyable and eventually we'd wear ourselves out worrying about improvement all day.