Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Running bad? Playing bad? Just lost my edge? Confused..

I've been playing in some of the highest online limits erratically throughout the past 5-6 months (constantly busting my BR in different ways)and wanted to share my recent experience and hopefully as a result hear other similar, helpful stories.

In the past month, I have won and lost over 150k+ in limits ranging from 50-100 to 500-1000 (All mostly heads up and some shorthanded- 50-100 NL included). However, that is not what this post is about. (but its important I include that it is high limit poker) What really concerns me are the past two weeks. I am desperately confused about my status as a poker player. I have reloaded into sites 4 or 5 straight times trying to take a shot to build my BR, but always either fail immediatly or eventually get smacked back to bust. This is not what worries me though, as almost every time I was playing out of my BR; (thats what taking a shot is)what worries me is that I have no idea what is happening, to be blunt. I am certainly not running well, but I also don't feel like im running horribly. (ive never felt like i've taken a seriously terrible run) I used to be very inconsistent but I have fixed that for the most part (or so I thought). Basically I just feel like i can't get anything going; but I don't know if thats a result of me losing my edge (i have recently felt like I defenitely play at least somewhat worse than I used, and have lost some of my pure fearlessness in SH limit) or if im just running bad. I just feel like i don't know what to do. I know im probably overreacting, but I hate playing and feel like im doing so roboticly- something that can kill you especially in the games I play. I also hate losing, like i have been, and not knowing why- I ALWAYS analyze my play for mistakes. Of course I see minor mistakes but not seeing the direct cause of this is killing my confidence. I did a shitty job of explaining this because i'm pretty [censored] stressed out in general at the moment, but, if anyone else has ever felt lost like this please respond.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Running bad? Playing bad? Just lost my edge? Confused..

Wow, I thought that it was only me.. I have been Running bad for a Month, lost my edge and my confidence is shot, and my BR is down..I'm Really thinking of quitting...I built my BR up to 5K in 3 months, before this happened. I am not in the high stakes games as you are, just the 10-20 and on occasions the 20-40. and was doing pretty good....Then it CAME one bad beat after another, bad cards,good cards that didn't do me any good.. So I took some time off, and came back, and still can't get nothing going...It's like a cures from the Poker Gods (Why Me)...It's depressing, can't even beat my friends
any more, what the hell's up!!! I know that I am better
then most the people I Played with... I quess there is one consolation, and that is, I'm not alone... So maybe there is hope that everything will come back Soon...I belive that we are to good for this (Whateveritis) to keep us Down...Good Luck...and keep the faith....Thank You for helping me and I hope I help you a little...
Old 10-15-2005, 01:38 AM

You shouldn't be playing 10/20, yet alone 20/40, with a BR of 5K. Sorry to say there are no shortcuts in poker (or at least no guaranteed ones). Build your BR up higher so you can withstand the swings better.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:40 AM

Best advice is to step back for a while. Take a break and after that review your play again. Assess your game selection.

Most importantly, whatever you do, make sure that poker remains fun.