Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 09:30 PM

Default How much do you think you would be giving up if you dumped the BB?

The free play from the BB is particularly vexing for many players, as they find themselves ending up playing many easily dominated hands that make second best a lot.

What if you simply refused to play "normal" poker from the blinds with anything that you wouldn't play from EP? What I mean by this is that unless you flopped at least say top two from the BB, you'd simply lay whatever you flopped down, even top pair.

What EV do you think this would have for the average player?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: How much do you think you would be giving up if you dumped the BB?

It sure wouldn't help you improve your postflop skills and I still think you would be giving up a lot of +EV situations unless you are a particularly awful postflop player. In this case you should be striving to improve, not running away from a harder than average situation.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:53 PM

Just for reference, I am not suggesting it.

I want to hear thoughts on what it would mean to the average player.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The free play from the BB is particularly vexing for many players, as they find themselves ending up playing many easily dominated hands that make second best a lot.

What if you simply refused to play "normal" poker from the blinds with anything that you wouldn't play from EP? What I mean by this is that unless you flopped at least say top two from the BB, you'd simply lay whatever you flopped down, even top pair.

What EV do you think this would have for the average player?

[/ QUOTE ]

]For the average player, i think it would have a noticable effect on their earnings. For a knowledgable player, i think it would devestate their earnings. Most of the money we leak out at the table goes from the blinds. Refusing to play a vast magority of the hands that helps reduce that leak would ravage your winrate.

peace

john nickle
Old 02-21-2005, 10:59 PM

This is the most retarded question ever. What if I refused to play pocket kings? How much would that affect MY win rate? What if little Johnny wouldn't get up in the morning? How much -EV would THAT be?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the most retarded question ever. What if I refused to play pocket kings? How much would that affect MY win rate? What if little Johnny wouldn't get up in the morning? How much -EV would THAT be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand an unwillingness to take Lansing seriously. In that vein, I'm going to quote sthief:

"it's a shame you're so arrogant and a schizo. you write well and you know what you're talking about sometimes. and do us all a favor and stop posting under hulk hogan. if you behave yourself and stay on one name, I'm sure no one will give you a problem anymore. you obviously want us to figure this stuff out. no one can be that stupid, as to write about the same stuff with the same writing style. just grow up "

Regardless, asking what happens if one stops playing KK and asking what happens if one stops playing marginal hands OOP are far different questions.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:11 PM

How big a mistake it is depends on how the table texture was but it would be pretty damn serious, I imagine making a lot of winning players into losers.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:19 PM

This is a retarded question regardless of who posted it.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"What if you simply refused to play "normal" poker from the blinds with anything that you wouldn't play from EP?"

Reading comprehension is your friend, no matter how much you hate me.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:42 PM

Refusing to play low flopped pairs+ 3-way. Middle pairs+ 4-way, top pair+ 5-way in unraised pot usually leads you give up too much ev. Of course you must pick many spots to lay them down, but lay them down without thinking is terrible.

Check-folding bottom pair 3-way in unraised pot costs you around 0.15-0.35BB (depending on rank of a pair) of losing profit immediately. Middle pair around 0.7BB, top pair - 1.5BB.

Check-folding top pair 4-way will lead to losing profit more than 1.2BB immediately. Middle pair around 0.5BB. Tiny pair some little % of ev.

You can answer why i know this? That's because i play all of them in some different ways and they all show me profit in a long term (as im able to make some queries to my DB PT don't support).

Also i can't say i fold any part of flop without thinking.