Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Gutshot + Overcard + Flush Draw... Thoughts?

Eh, what do you think of the flop action here? Turn? River?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, UTG folds.

River: (10.20 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 12.20 BB
Old 11-15-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Gutshot + Overcard + Flush Draw... Thoughts?

Fold preflop. If you're going to play it though, I guess it was ok...I might lead out on the flop, though I think that the CR was ok, since MP2 was the bettor, it traps most people for 2 bets instead of 1.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:12 PM

I give you 6 outs on the flop, making a c/r incorrect. That is the only bad play in this hand.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, what do you think of the flop action here? Turn? River?

[/ QUOTE ]

(Grunch, no replies as I begin writing)

Preflop: I generally like to fold those baby aces from early position, even when they're suited. They are trouble hands. They are outkicked too often and don't often flop good draws to be worth limping in early with. They don't really get much better in loose games.

Flop: I'm not sure about the checkraise here. You're not going to take down the pot with it. Doing it to isolate might be the wrong move, because if you hit the straight you want people still in the pot and willing to pay you off. There's no reason to checkraise for value without a made hand, considering that you probably need to hit an ace or the straight to win.

Turn and River: Now that you have a made hand, you bet, you get called, you likely win. No need for Fancy Play Syndrome.

Overall, your hand was skating on thin ice the whole way. Whether you hit the ace or the straight, only one of your hole cards plays, and that should always thow up a caution flag.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:20 PM

*grunch*

I don't like the flop check raise. You've got a six outer for a smallish pot. I think you want everyone to call behind.

You run G00t!
Old 11-15-2005, 02:22 PM

I don't love the preflop call with only one limper; it's ok if they're loose and passive (so you'll get a couple more limpers but no raise), but if they're aggressive or unknown you should've mucked.

Uh, what's with the raise on the flop? I can't see enough outs for it to be for value, and you don't have position to make a free-card play since the bettor and one call have already come from your left.

Having raised the flop, you have to bet the turn, but I hope you cried a little as you did it, since you still don't have the outs for it to be for value, you're still OOP, and your hand is VERY likely dominated at this point (I must say, I'm surprised that neither MP2 nor MP3 raised...maybe they figured you for aces-up).

Nice suckout on the river.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:31 PM

hey boz, he turned a pair of aces.

flop c/r is clearly wrong though
Old 11-15-2005, 02:39 PM

edited post,

I suck but missed that this is a fold PF.

The problem is that the ace does not help you hand much so you are basically working on less than 1 out for the three aces. 1.5 for the flush and 1.5 for the straight. I might fold the flop, and might fold the turn. River is fine.

Greg
Old 11-15-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your hand is VERY likely dominated at this point

[/ QUOTE ]

This, I disagree with. There's a pretty good chance we're best here IMO.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:10 PM

Preflop is fine if you aren't a dunce at table selection. Hell, even up through 2/4 this play would be fine if you aren't just clicking tables randomly. (And wouldn't be too wrong even if you were on Party or Pacific.)

Flop check raise is bad.

Turn is good, river is good.

The thing with suited aces is, that your weak kicker isn't a problem as much as you think it will be. There are only two other aces out there, and if you just go by 25 cards in play, most of the time the other ace isn't out there.

When it is and you are outkicked, you aren't losing a lot, since without a draw, assuming you play well post flop you can avoid trouble vs aggression.

When you have the only ace, you'll win smaller pots obviously, but against such poor players, the pots won't be THAT small. You'll have people calling you down many times with far worse hands.

And then there's your flush chances, which are few and far between, but hugely profitable.