Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Man vs Vegas

[ QUOTE ]
there was a guy from the uk that liquidated all his assets and put it all on red or some crap and won. i forget how long ago this was.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was on the Ultimate Poker Challenge with that guy Brandi Williams, a few weeks ago. It looks like he is shilling for a gambling site now.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:47 AM

Whoa, i had to come out of lurkdom for this. As i was enjoying my favorite poker site, i was channel surfing and happened upon this show tonite. I was like 'what the hell is this??' I like to watch the poker shows and any kind of gambling or Vegas , but this was real nutty. But heck im with the guy who would watch the "Man Sleeps on Vegas Couch " show [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] So i was glued to to set. I liked the guy but i was skeptical about him and his story and all. The gambling seemed real and peoples reactions too. I wouldn't mind someone giving me a stack of blacks to gamble with. The 'monkey monkey' was a bit much. I started to feel sick to my stomach when he would lose big stacks. He ended up breaking even for the show. Anyway at the end of the episode, they show the next weeks previews. For next week they have him playing 'Poker Champion Eli' It was Eli Elezra !?! What the??? Now this is must see t.v. He'll probably push all in on the first hand and yell 'Monkey!!' for his river card. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there was a guy from the uk that liquidated all his assets and put it all on red or some crap and won. i forget how long ago this was.

[/ QUOTE ]

About 1 1/2 years. That guy was a moron. He played at the Hard Rock, which has 0 and 00. He should have played at the Venetian, which uses European rules, or only 0. But he won.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the Hard Rock backed out the day before the bet was to happen. The bet was handled at the Plaza downtown.

[/ QUOTE ]

What an absolute moron. I wish he lost, that would have been hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't a moron by any strech of the imagination. His bet was pretty smart overall. If he had lost he wouldn't have ended up with nothing, he'd have ended up with the cash from the TV company + great future revenue potential from books/follow up programs. If he won he had also the same potential plus double his net worth.

In fact the bet problably looked something like hit red + $200,000 hit black -$40,000. Not bad EV right there.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone seen this new show on CMT? guy cashes in everything he owns for 1 million in cash and takes on Vegas cause they "owe" him 3 million that he lost a couple years back. the guy is a true degenerate in every sense of the word.

given $1 million why would anyone waste it playing carnival games?

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you mean that 20 minutes of advertising for Las Vegas mixed in with 10 minutes of regular advertising?

At least this "show" is somewhat more entertaining than typical paid programming. After all, who doesn't want to watch a good train wreck?

Ultimately, this show is just going to plant Las Vegas firmly in the subconscious minds of countless CMT watchers as the preferred vacation destination. After all, not only might you win big on your own, but some lunatic millionaire just might hand you a stack of black, right out of the blue.

Everyone here can smile smugly, knowing what a fool this guy is for taking the worst of it over and over and also giving money away on top of it, but in truth this show is all about tugging at the heartstrings of the unwashed masses.

Our man is getting paid by Vegas, no doubt, but it's not by winning at the tables.