Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Spewing out of the Blind?

Very loose passive UTG (who actually plays mildly ok postflop) limps. Folded to the button, good TAG (who is a 20/10/2 with a slightly high WtSD% over 1700 hands) who raises. SB folds and I call with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] out of BB.

3 to the flop for 6sb: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to the button who bets, I raise, UTG Folds, Button calls.

2 to the turn for 5BB: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I bet, unfortunately button calls.

2 to the river for 7BB:

Are there any river cards you are not betting? Is my flop play suckiness.

--Rico
Old 12-27-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Spewing out of the Blind?

I think between all your draws, you have more than enough outs to go with your line.

Unfortunately, an UI river is my weakness. I don't have an answer for you.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:15 PM

the only hand you possibly beat on the river UI is a busted flush draw, and the only way to extract from that hand is to check and hope he bluffs. I'd consider that hand and sequence of events to be far less likely than a pair that's calling down.

Also, a tag has a lot of aces in his range here, none of which he's folding on the river if he called the turn.

With that in mind, I think we can bet this river when we spike and check/fold when we whiff. The rare times he has KT[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] do not make up for the times he has A9o and would have called anyway.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:23 PM

I played a KQo hand the other day exactly like this exceot I had the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Interesting to see that someone else plays it the same because I wasn't sure about what I was doing when I did it. I check/folded the river UI.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:35 PM

Rico,

I like the flop play and I think the river is close. If he called the turn with AK/AQ/AT he'll likely call the river as well getting 8:1 and knowing you may play a decent draw this way at least often enough for a call to be profitable. A good chunk of hands in his range you're actually ahead of or chopping with...QT, KT, KQ so that takes a lot of the value out of a bet. In other words, if he folds it's likely you had the best hand. At the same time I don't see your hand being worth a call if you check and he bets. So check/fold seems fine. But I think the first 3 streets are fine.

Also, I think in this case against this oppoenent a flop 3-bet would be likely if he had a decent draw so IMO it's more likely that you are behind and he's just calling down with something marginal not worth a raise.

Chief
Old 12-27-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good chunk of hands in his range you're actually ahead of or chopping with...QT, KT, KQ so that takes a lot of the value out of a bet. In other words, if he folds it's likely you had the best hand. At the same time I don't see your hand being worth a call if you check and he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]
It seems to me there are two benefits of betting. Getting A-high to lay down and avoid getting bluffed. Stilli think I prefer check/folding, but I think it's close.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 PM

Chief:

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I think in this case against this oppoenent a flop 3-bet would be likely if he had a decent draw so IMO it's more likely that you are behind and he's just calling down with something marginal not worth a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good point.

Anyway, I see most think the river is close, but check folding is slightly better than betting. I kind of felt the opposite, and thought betting anything other than an ace was slightly better. I do think I get called by some marginal hand fairly often, but at 7:1, I thought a bet was worth it...and my river check may look like a busted draw and the 7BB may convince him to take a shot. I dunno....you guys are probably right and check folding is best.

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] fell on the river (not the Ace, a 5, I think), which I bet and he folded. I think that was probably a great card for me, in that I think he mucks a lot of his marginal hands now thinking that he doesn't beat much of anything anymore.

--Rico
Old 12-27-2005, 04:42 PM

I don't think many aces that call the turn will fold the river.