Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-21-2005, 09:38 AM

Default building a Tourney bankroll - from pscrew.com

just thought I'd share this article - It's very interesting - and involves building a TOURNEY bankroll using SNG's as practice - and also gives tips - (I can't multitable and get good results right now so I've stopped) -

I cashed out all my wins/bonus money and left myself at 50 bucks - my SNG game is getting really good, and my MTT game should still improve a bit -

I'd like to actually build a bankroll again instead of taking cash out of the checking account - I have a bit of "phbbt" money (80 bucks) at other sites for some nice LL tourneys or NL - but Pokerstars is gonna be my primary tourney/SNG site till further notice.

I'll try to post updates as they come - it functions similar to the Open Internet Challenge - where you move up in steps -

$50-$150 - $5 SNGs
$150-$250 - $10 SNGs
$250-$400 - $20 SNGs
$400-$600 - $30 SNGs / 1 or 2 $10 MTT a week
$600-$1000 - $50 SNG / 2 or 4 $20 MTT a week
$1000-$1500 - $50 SNG / 1 or 2 $100 a week / $20-$50 MTT 5-10 MTTs a week
$1500+ - Keep only $1500 in the account / any earnings take out / only MTTs

-------------

I find this objective based approach helps me play better, so I'm going with it....despite the fact I think I can regularly beat the 20 games - I need a new SNG tracker though - working on that.

will keep you updated - gonna take a couple weeks off the MTT boards - LOL.

RB
Old 12-21-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: building a Tourney bankroll - from pscrew.com

good luck with this
Old 12-21-2005, 09:46 AM

I know you are a solid player, but unless you've made your peace with going broke, I'm a bit leery of the schedule you laid out, just because (as everyone on the STT forum knows) a 20 buy-in down-swing is not uncommon even for winning players. So I would want to build up more of a BR before moving up.

Also, if you are on Stars, keep in mind the Sats that are out there. Before the arrival of the goldmine known as $20+2/180-man tournamnets, I played the $3-rebuys to the $500k guaranteed. It's a bit different game (finishing 20th with 1 chip is the same as finishing first with 1,000,000,), but as you work on the early and mid-stages of your game it is (IMO) invaluable - the stacks are deep enough that you get to play a lot of poker for your money.

GL,

Sam
Old 12-21-2005, 10:27 AM

Yo, I just read that article, and that guy doesn't know his elbow from his [censored]. A 35% ROI at the 22s is impossible longterm. That dude hit a monster heater (if he is even telling the truth) and is telling everyone how to screw them selves.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:37 AM

I am comfortable and won't freak with going broke.

I'll tell you something though - It's something I felt too stupid posting in a strategy post, but I'll say it here.

I've been doing better - I think I'm overbetting my hands a bit - but I feel like poker the way I used to play it was a series of coin-flips - try to have the most money in on the best of them - whether 33/66 or 47/53 -

But now I realize that the fewer showdowns I see, the better, and if I have the position and chips to take it down or force a surrender before it gets to that point, I have guaranteed myself a stack of chips - and doing this fairly regularly not only gets you a lot of free steals, but makes a re-raise easier to read and get out of the way on.

so I'm trying some different stuff - wider gap in my gap concept - more aggression at various stages and cutting back at spots...

times when you need a 5xbb bet and times when a 2.5xbb bet will tell you if it's a freebie or a monster you need to lay down to.

Times when you need to flip the coin and times when you just wait him out. And you learn NEVER to click the check/fold option early cause even though it's 7/2, IF everyone folds up to you a nice placed reraise will pay off 80 percent of the time.

Things like that are coming to me... - personally - I haven't gone off on my "poker as wargaming" analogy yet because it's sorta known I like to toke occasionally and it all sorta reads like a stoner dream. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But it's obvious to me now why I got so drawn into poker tournaments - they're so close to Advanced Squad Leader and all the board games I used to play.

RB
Old 12-21-2005, 10:58 AM

As the other SNG regulars are pointing out, these bankroll requirements are way low compared to what you're going to need to protect yourself reasonably against risk of ruin. If you're good, you can probably manage at the 10s with 10-15 buyins; being lucky doesn't hurt here either. But especially as you go further up, you're going to need 2, 3, or 4 times as much as the figures you're quoting.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:05 AM

well, either way, I think I can beat the 10 buck SNG's and I wanna try it like an Open Internet Challenge -

One last small insignificant waste of capital before 2006 comes cracking down on me.

RB
Old 12-21-2005, 11:08 AM

I 100% gauruntee no matter how good you are that you go broke within 1500 tournaments using a 20-30 buyin bankroll for SNG's.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$50-$150 - $5 SNGs
$150-$250 - $10 SNGs
$250-$400 - $20 SNGs
$400-$600 - $30 SNGs / 1 or 2 $10 MTT a week
$600-$1000 - $50 SNG / 2 or 4 $20 MTT a week
$1000-$1500 - $50 SNG / 1 or 2 $100 a week / $20-$50 MTT 5-10 MTTs a week
$1500+ - Keep only $1500 in the account / any earnings take out / only MTTs

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much what I've used over the last year. Currently playing $50 with a $900 roll. I can't see how you could have such a bad swing that you'd go broke using that system. Afterall you drop down the limit if you drop below a certain level.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:05 PM

Note that the stats in the article linked by the OP only have a sample of 79 STT games, total. This is an incredibly small sample size and his results seem unsustainable. I wouldn't use this article as any kind of solid reference as the results quoted in it are not of any significance.