Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 02:37 PM

Default KK makes set and gets donked...

MP1 is a super fish. SB and BB no real reads.

Flop: I call to try to get SB or BB to stay in... I figure raising will be sure to knock them out and maybe there's a small chance they will call if I don't raise.

Turn: No flush card, I raise having set up MP1 on the flop for this and I need to charge him if he's betting with a weaker hand or drawing to the flush.

River: Make my full house obviously need to bet.

How did I play this? Suggestions on the flop/turn line I took?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 12-15-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: KK makes set and gets donked...

I would have just gone ahead and raised the flop in case anyone wanted to get cute behind me or had a strong draw thast they would call two bets with. Also MP1 might not bet again on the turn.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 PM

I think you need to raise the flop to try and get rid of the flush draws. Although at .25/.5 you won't, you can at least make them pay for it.

Turn and river fine.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:52 PM

I would raise the flop and hope he wants to go to war.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:55 PM

Grunch.

Raise the flop. you were the pre-flop aggressor and you have an equity edge. In the micro limits there's not many times you need to make this play. Rest of the hand is fine.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:58 PM

Grunch:

Flop is fine, though for the wrong reason. You want to call here so you can raise the turn making him pay the extra big bet vs a small bet for the flush. And if the flush hits on the turn, depending on your read of Villain, you either want to raise it here and see what he does or c/c to the river.

Turn and river are fine I think you extracted as much money as you can from this hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:04 PM

Grunch. I would raise the flop to charge the FDs and hopefully fold lone big diamonds. Also, MP1 liked his hand enough to donk, so there is a chance that you can get multiple bets from him here. The rest is fine.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:06 PM

Raise the flop.
The other streets are perfect.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have just gone ahead and raised the flop in case anyone wanted to get cute behind me or had a strong draw thast they would call two bets with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the size of the pot I think raising the flop would make it correct to call for anyone chasing the flush draw on both the turn and the river. Its even worse if they 2 players behind Hero decide to CC the 2 bets and come along for the ride. I think calling and raising the turn is the better line to take. The two players behind hero might also decide to come along for one bet and fold to the turn raise, whereas had they paid 2SB, they may call the turn because of the larger pot and the fact it would only be 1BB to them see as it is likely MP1 would just c/c the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
Also MP1 might not bet again on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

True MP1 might not bet again on the turn, but in micro limits the average player usually tend to lead again on the turn until their opponents show some strength.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:15 PM

You guys have to stop worrying about gettign flush draws to fold and start worrying about getting a bunch of bets in when you have a good hand. If you raise and some guy coldcalls and this moron decides to 3-bet with something then you can call to raise the turn because you have a nice little setup.

After one donk into you on the flop, I'm not waiting for the turn because there is no guarantee he is betting again. Also, if a diamond comes you might freeze up and change your raising plan. Raising preflop and then just calling the flop and raising the turn screams monster to me and you might even get a bet/fold on the turn.