Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Default AK, opponent wierd line

Party 3/6, 9 handed, Hero is button with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],
UTG calls, folds to hero who raises, both blinds fold, UTG calls. Heads up to the flop:
K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG raises, Hero calls with intent of raising on the turn:
Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG raises??
First, what do you think of the smooth call on the flop? Should i just go ahead and three-bet? Also, now that I've been raised on the turn, should I go ahead and three bet here or just call planning to call down?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: AK, opponent wierd line

Reads are really important in HU contests like this. If you know the player and he knows you they key is to vary your play and not become predictable as there is no one line that will be best everytime.

I like your line about 25% of the time and the other 75% I'll 3-bet the flop vs an unknown. I like to take the sure money now when I'm likely ahead over hoping he'll lead the turn most times. If he caps the flop it helps me with decisions later in the hand on the expensive streets too.

The turn C/R has me going into call down mode as it always means monster or bluff, never a so so hand unless the guy is a total [censored]. There's no way I'm folding TPTK here and I need a very solid [censored] read to be putting in any more raises.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Since you don't provide a read on your Villian I'm assuming he's unkown to you. Given that he's unkown I think you should be 3-betting the flop. You have no way to predict his actions on future streets so you might as well get some money in there while he's willing to give you some action.

If you 3-bet the flop and he caps - you can get to showdown for 1-2BBs by either calling/checking behind.

If he only calls your 3-bet and checks the turn - you could think about checking behind to induce a river bluff. Or, if he leads the turn, you again can probably get to showdown for 1-2BBs.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:10 PM

HU, I definitely would have 3-bet this (but admittedly, (Edit waiting to the turn to raise isn't a big part of my arsenal yet). The turn check-raise freaks me out and I'd probably just call down from here.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:21 PM

lets say we call the turn cr then the river is a scary J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]... how bad is folding the river?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lets say we call the turn cr then the river is a scary J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]... how bad is folding the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

How big is the pot? How well do you know this guy's tendencies? How is your table image? You have a very good hand in a HU pot. You have to realize that unless you know a player extremely well that it's almost always wrong to take a line HU that will have you fold TPTK to an unknown. The size of the pot and likelihood that you are ahead almost always dictates that you should take a line that gets you to a SD. Getting to SD's is good even when you lose as you learn more about a player and make the others at the table will be less likely to try to move you off the best hand with a bluff in future hands.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:54 PM

I'd want a read, but I think his turn check raise is likely Aces, KQ, or a set, sometimes a bluff, but not often enough (again read dependent.) You are getting 8:2 to call down. I think this is a fold.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd want a read, but I think his turn check raise is likely Aces, KQ, or a set, sometimes a bluff, but not often enough (again read dependent.) You are getting 8:2 to call down. I think this is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, if this is a maniac you will embolden him and be able to make it up next time.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he only calls your 3-bet and checks the turn - you could think about checking behind to induce a river bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
if he calls the flop and c/r on the turn I think we can find a fold here. You are missing a bet from Kx or pp by checking behind on the turn.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he only calls your 3-bet and checks the turn - you could think about checking behind to induce a river bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
if he calls the flop and c/r on the turn I think we can find a fold here. You are missing a bet from Kx or pp by checking behind on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If I three-bet and he just calls, I'm checking behind the turn like 0% of the time.