Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 10:45 AM

Default 5/10, I never seem to have a great line when I turn a lock

5/10, villain is abc and plays fine. He makes it 30 to go second in, I call from the BB with J9s, 5 handed, we both have about 1400.

Flop JT9

I bet 40, he minraises, I call.

Turn J

Hero?

I keep thinking I need to be this turn so that I can bet more on the river so I can stack etc...but in reality, He isn't going to call another bet unless he has AJ/set/KQ, the turn also put up a spade draw, so I could hope maybe he has some like AKs and will hit runner runner. He isn't lag or anything like that so I don't see 78 here or anything, this is either big cards, big pair, etc.

How many of you bet this again? 1/2 pot? Check, check and bet pot on river? what's a good line?
Old 09-22-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: 5/10, I never seem to have a great line when I turn a lock

Against an abc player, I would bet atleast 3/4 pot and expect to be raised assuming you are not folding to his push(putting him on 10 J).
Old 09-22-2005, 10:54 AM

I like half the pot, I wouldn't want to check and just give him a free card with Aces, Kings, or Queens, and you'll probably still get a call from a lot of hands, plus like you said you can build the pot for the river bet.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against an abc player, I would bet atleast 3/4 pot and expect to be raised assuming you are not folding to his push(putting him on 10 J).

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh?

I half pot this because there are 16 cards I don't want to see on the river. If the guy is tight, I don't think you're getting that much more out of him if the flush/straight hits anyway. On the chance that he's drawing live, I 1/2 pot this.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:59 AM

I like 1/2 to 2/3 pot. He minraised you to see where he is and by betting out here with a semi-weak bet, he still won't have a good idea where he is.
If he doesn't call or raise the turn, he's not putting money in on the river unless he has a big one.
Keep building the pot and hope he has something like TT, strong draw, or hands he may stubbornly draw very thin with like an overpair.
Unless I know that I have an opponent who perceives any check as weakness and will bet after my check, I always build the pot with weak-looking bets in situations like this hoping to string them along.
The real question is whether you let him draw to eight cards (five ties included) if he does pop it up hard indicating that he probably has AJ.
Curious to know what you did / results.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:16 AM

I reraise flop.

Turn is tough, but leading out with something like 3/4 pot might be good.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I reraise flop.

Turn is tough, but leading out with something like 3/4 pot might be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

*throws up in mouth a little bit*

you reraise flop and the following happens:

overpairs normally fold
Better hands either smoothcall to trap you, or 4 bet you.

doesnt sound appetizing, does it?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:34 AM

If you bet half the pot, you're giving him 3:1 on his money, which is pretty good, but I'd prefer to give him better than that. If you bet $80 he's getting 4:1 and I doubt that he figures he's that big a dog here. Plus, the $80 may look like a probe bet to him. I'd go with 1/3 of the pot and hope he raises, but 1/2 would be fine by me too.

Do you know what his minraises mean? Is he trying to trap you or is he trying to induce a check on the turn so he can check behind you?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:36 AM

I like ckraising this. He's gonna bet with just about anything behind (protecting made hand, betting draw or bluffing scary board). You can then decide to either take it away on the turn or draw him further into the pot by giving him odds to draw to his 'outs'.

I probably check/minraise. Even though it reeks of strength he may not be able to resist the odds to draw. I pot-bet any river assuming I get that far.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:50 AM

azk,

bet 150.