Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 02:07 PM

Default TOURNEMENT PLAY

New to PLO8 but anyway, i understand this is a drawing game and for the most part you don't put all your chips in with out seeing a flop. I did. I was a freeroll tourney and i'm in the BB. 20/40. UTG limps UTG2 raises 60, MP3-4 re-raises and i re-raises all-in. This is alos the first hand of this particular tourney. I had AA26 rainbow. i knew someone else had to have had AA and that he prolly wouldn't fould. But since my low was soo good i felt i should go all in. The fact that i was naked, no suits made me thin i could walk away for 40 and wait for my opportunity. Do they get much better than that though? winning hand was 9922 for a full house. UTG2. He probably shouldn't have gone all-in but whatever. the other caller had AAJ10, one suited ace. so he had me as a dog for the high.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: TOURNEMENT PLAY

Run your hand through twodimes.net if you want actual odds.

Assuming time is of reasonable importance to you, gambling on the first hand in a freeroll isn't such a bad idea. You win and you have a fair chance of going somewhere. You lose and you spend some time elsewhere.

On the other hand, if you play the freeroll for experience (as opposed to for $/hr), this all-in is terrible, IMHO.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:25 PM

thanks. when you say it is terrible that is becasue i'm not going to get any experience or because i don't leave myself much chance of scooping? btw i did it mostly because it was freeroll and i figured this is about as good of a hand you can hope for. Guess it just sucks someone else had AA. I was hoping my read was off and the other re-raiser had some thing like A2KK or A234. basically having him dominated for the high with a split for the low.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:11 AM

I put all my chips in preflop with AA26 everytime vs. bad low-limit players
Old 06-19-2005, 11:52 AM

If you're not betting the max w/ AA26 at every opportunity, it's a mistake. It sucks that it didn't work out this time, but that is a dominating hand, can't ever be folded preflop. AA2 is PLO8's equivalent of AA in hold 'em. If you can get all in preflop with it, you should never have regrets about the hand.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're not betting the max w/ AA26 at every opportunity, it's a mistake. It sucks that it didn't work out this time, but that is a dominating hand, can't ever be folded preflop. AA2 is PLO8's equivalent of AA in hold 'em. If you can get all in preflop with it, you should never have regrets about the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's more like KK in holdem and there is no AA equivalent in PLO8, but i'll concede that's being a nit.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's more like KK in holdem and there is no AA equivalent in PLO8, but i'll concede that's being a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about AA23 Dbl Suited.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:35 AM

The analogy to Hold'em starting hands breaks down in the sense that in Hold'em KK is a relatively large favorite over every other starting hand except for AA which in turn beats the crap out of KK heads-up. In O8, AA2x is a favorite over every other starting hand heads-up, but not to the degree of KK to a random hand nor is there an O8 equivalent hand to AA that destroys the crap out of its KK equivalent. So Hold'em comparisons here aren't really relavent, and are only useful in a general sense.

Also, another thing to think about... There are very few flops in Hold'em that I'm willing to fold AA on the flop. Yet in O8, even AA23 turns into garbage a fair amount of the time if the flop doesn't fit with your hand.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about AA23 Dbl Suited.

[/ QUOTE ]

That hand is nowhere near as powerful as AA is in holdem.