Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: My poker (loser) experience

[ QUOTE ]
I should have exhibited better judgement and stopped playing when I knew I was not playing my A-game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds much much worse than just "not playing your A-game".

I think you should give serious thought to not playing poker until you have a greater understanding of what happened to you and some confidence that you won't do it again. Even then, you should adopt a strict and conservative bankroll management plan. If you can't do that, you will do yourself a big favor by not playing at all.

It's hard to give advice about family and religion, especially to strangers. There is rarely a good answer. But, it sounds like you need to talk to them about a few things. Try to find a way to do it that doesn't lead to a fight. Maybe get advice from someone else in the family (or friend of the family) who can see both your and your parents' point of view.

Good luck.

P.S. A book you may find interesting that I just re-read. It's about family and gambling. Double Down: Reflections on Gambling and Loss
Old 12-20-2005, 01:05 PM

who gives a shiit about your parents. you are 28 years old. fuuck your parents. fuuck your religion. get a grip. "woe is me" is getting old and you know it.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats god or your parents got to do with playing poker, your not insulting any form of god playing poker, you are if the money is going towards a bad cause?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing poker is a form a gambling and gambling is taboo is most traditional families. And when I speak of any religious hindu family it just magnifies a whole lot. There is that inner self that wants you to tell your parents about it. But you dont know how they would react. I have gone through some personal [censored] over the last 4 years and this poker thing is small compared to the numerous incidents and [censored] ups in my personal life. That being said, money is money and you hate to lose what you earned through effort,dedication and discipline. My mom wants me to keep faith in good and it really gets frustrating when she is lecturing you whenever she gets a chance. I agree with one of the posters that I am probably trying to vent my frustrations by playing poker.

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't believe in God, then why does any of this upset you? What rules are you trying to live your life by, and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not about me. Its about my parents. For the reasons I stated above. I can see why my parents would be upset about this. I dont want to quit playing poker. It is a catch 22 situation and yes, I do understand I do need to take a break and concentrate on my job(I am not jobless).
Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who gives a shiit about your parents. you are 28 years old. fuuck your parents. fuuck your religion. get a grip. "woe is me" is getting old and you know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably true. This might be my only option. Not saying it has to be my way or no way. But, I see your point.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:23 PM

relax. Take a good break and analyse your options.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:38 PM

You obviously have skills to build a roll like that so fast. However, you obviously have some conflicts going on in your head that are going to affect your play regardless of skill level. You need to resolve those issues to play at the level you are capable of. Send me what's left of your BR for safekeeping. Either solve your problems or learn to put them aside while you play. I speak from experience, no matter how good you are, no matter how much better you are than the others sitting at your table, if you have things going on that cause you to make bad decisions, it will destroy your bankroll. Step away from the table.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:26 PM

Discipline and self-control are vital poker skills. Forget all that other crap.

You must learn discipline.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Discipline and self-control are vital poker skills. Forget all that other crap.

You must learn discipline.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. Raw skill means nothing if you don't have discipline. Obviously the issues in your life are affecting your poker, don't play until you have that [censored] with your parents/God sorted out, it will ruin you.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:35 PM

I know plenty of players that were down to $0 after beating high stakes games for some time, you'll be surprise at how fast you can climb back up if you force yourself to play well at low stakes. Don't worry about that part of the problem
Old 12-20-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I can make money at poker but I need a lot of discipline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait...within a year you went from first deposit to NL 2K? After putting in 15 hours per week!?

LOLOL.

You are not fit for this lifestyle. You may be intelligent, but you have absolutely zero discipline whatsoever. You are greedy. Looks like your parents may have been right.

Now you don't know what to do b/c you cannot fathom telling your 'rents that you lost money playing poker. And on top of that, you are bad at poker.

Tough situation. I'd say get a job in the "real world" with the rest of the dreamers. Not trying to be rude, just honest. You have no effing clue what you are doing.

Good luck.