Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 12-15-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Odd hold\'em structure

Hi,

I need some input on how to adjust to this (slightly odd) variation of holdem.

The blinds are .25/.50. The small bets are $2. The big bets are $4. THERE ARE NO RAISES --- there's only a single bet on each street.

Let's say the game is played 9-handed, with 6-7 people in for $2 preflop and 3-4 staying for the showdown.

What sort of hands are profitable in this game?

Thanks,
PP
Old 12-15-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Odd hold\'em structure

Drawing hands (suited connectors, small pairs) go way up in value, and big offsuit cards go down in value. Big pairs become more vulnerable. I would simply play more hands, because pot odds will go through the roof.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:41 PM

My first thought is to either find a better game or knock some sense into the host.

If you must play in this game, play a lot of suited connectors, Axs, & Kxs. Draws would be pretty valuable in this game. Poket pairs probably don't have much value unless you trip up or the board is ragged.

TONY
Old 12-15-2005, 04:36 PM

Whoever says that you should find another game is dead wrong. That structure, given the level of participation is awesome.

Playing a lot of hands, w/ very little blind money in is obviously wrong except when the SB and BB always complete anyway. Since everyone else seems to be doing it...I would see many many flops w/ just about any hands that can flop made hands and raise all big cards. Since you stand to get so much action when you flop a big hand I would not worry so much about ideal PF standards.

Seeing lots of flops for 1 bet and folding when you whiff will not DQ you from being one of the guys. Playing like a nit in a 2-4 homegame will either have the effect of turning you into the beer wench or the wet blanket if not both.

Try to introduce Omaha high w/ the same blind structure. You will then get 5 to showdown.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since everyone else seems to be doing it...I would see many many flops w/ just about any hands that can flop made hands and raise all big cards. Since you stand to get so much action when you flop a big hand I would not worry so much about ideal PF standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have missed the part in the first post where he said there are NO RAISES allowed in the game.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:15 PM

Without worrying too much about the "social" aspect (playing like a nit in a home game), there are a few things I'm trying to figure out...

1) Is position important? I don't think it is, if it's a guarantee that 6-7 will go to the flop.

2) I think tight is right. It costs you less than 1 SB to play 2 full rounds. You can wait for premium hands and it doesn't cost you much to do so. But what are premium hands in this game? A7s and 66? QQ+?

3) Are speculative hands (small pocket pairs and suited connectors) profitable? If you flop a quality draw, you don't have to worry about being raised off your hand. On the flip side, if you do hit your hand you can't extract multiple bets later on.

3b) If the game suddenly got "tight", with only 3-4 seeing the flop and it usually being heads-up at showdown, do you still play little pocket pairs and suited connectors?

PP
Old 12-15-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think tight is right. It costs you less than 1 SB to play 2 full rounds.
PP

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear:

PF, the betting is limited to calling the $0.50 BB
Flop, the opener for $2 is the only bettor allowed.
Turn-river, the $4 opener is the only bettor allowed.

Is that correct?

I'd LOVE to hear the logic that went behind the development of this game that vaguely resembles "poker".
Old 12-15-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The blinds are .25/.50. The small bets are $2. The big bets are $4. THERE ARE NO RAISES --- there's only a single bet on each street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, this isn't poker... It's a "card holding" contest. It basically comes down to this:
1. deal out cards
2. push in some money
3. show hands and declare winner
4. repeat

Without raises, I would seriously suggest finding another place to play.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:05 PM

Hi Larry,

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Although the blinds are .25/.50, the bet preflop is $2. Both of the blinds have to complete to $2 to see the flop.

PP
Old 12-15-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop, the opener for $2 is the only bettor allowed.
Turn-river, the $4 opener is the only bettor allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that it's not just a single $2 bettor. If someone bets, you have to call the $2 to stay in the hand. (I wonder if checking is allowed, though).