Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Re: who were behind 9/11?

Banks,

I have still not had a decent explanation from you how building 7 collapsed due to fire damage, and the damage from falling debris.

I know that high rise buildings are designed to withstand prolonged periods of fire. The video of the collapse does not show a building heavily on fire. I know that a building collapses assymmetrically when the damage is assymetrical. The video of the collapse shows a perfect symmetrical collapse.

You asked me: "Do you expect a building to tip over like a tree" as if it is very obvious buildings don't tip over. This makes me question your expertise, since in designing high-rise buildings the most challenging aspects of the construction is preventing the buildings from tipping over. Transfering the vertical loads is easy, making the building rigid to withstand horizontal forces and torques is the challenge.

So, from my expertise, I know that

1) Fire can damage the steel, causing it to loose strength, warp and deform the construction. This is a gradual process, that may eventually reach a point where parts of the support system fail
2) A single failure in the support system should never lead to inmediate collapse of the entire system.
3) Partial failure of the support system should always be visible before it is critical
4) A total collapse of a medium to high rise will thus always start with partial failure of the support system, and therefore start gradually and progress assymetrically.

Once again I ask you to prove my points wrong. I am interested in it, because of my professional backgrounds, and I'd be happy to hear a believable explanation on how fire cause WTC7 to collapse in the way it did. So far, I haven't heard one yet, that isnt highly unlikely.

I hope we can have a technical discussion on this, disregarding the implications that any conclusion might have. Could prove to be interesting for both of us.

ty,

Marnix