Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-13-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Most Hated Athelete

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who are the atheletes who you hate the most? All time periods are allowed.

Just a few that come to my mind right now.
Daniel Alfredson
Zdeno Chara
Aki Berg
Terrell Owens
Johnny Damon

[/ QUOTE ]

alfredson? chara? do you hate these guys or do you just hate the sens, because they are both insanely good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see Leafs fans hating Alfredsson (for the reasons enumerated by another poster), but I don't really understand hating Chara. It's not like he's a good, or is dirty, or has a big ego...he's just about the best defenceman in the league. There are plenty of Sens players that I can see hockey fans hating, but Chara just isn't one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hatred of Sens + He's so damn tall = I hate Chara

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that he's goofy looking, and won't close his mouth.

BTW, we know it's irrational, and we don't care. Being rational about hockey is not a strength of Leafs fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

you said a mouthful there. (spoken like a true Sens fan, I know)
Old 12-13-2005, 03:32 PM

Tommy had a son who got ill. Tommy and his wife practically disowned the kid when he found out what the disease was. At the time, Tommy was probably the biggest star on the L.A. sports scene and he could have done a lot for both his son and to help others with the disease. He chose to do neither. He's a horrible human being.

I lived in the same building as Tommy's son and watched him die unloved by his parents.

On the professional side, that endless steam of Dodger Blue BS that comes out of Tommy's mouth serves only Tommy. He killed Fernando Valenzuela's arm, sabotaged Bill Russell by constantly second-guessing him to management, and is responsible for the current state of mismanagement since he had the ear of Mrs. McCourt.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:10 PM

So many deserving candidates it's tough to choose but Im going with the Juice.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard a radio interview with the son of Ty Cobb a long time ago. He insists his father was a great dad and family man. Considering how many celebrity children are happy to disown their parents, I thought this was very intriguing and makes me question the legends surrounding Cobb.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, really. I heard Shoeless Joe tell Ray Kinsela that nobody liked Ty Cobb when he was alive.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and all the other panzy hockey players that take cheap shots and then run away until the refs show up to get in the middle when they suddenly get brave again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve Avery, Mathew Barnaby, Darcy Tucker...
Old 12-13-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tommy had a son who got ill. Tommy and his wife practically disowned the kid when he found out what the disease was. At the time, Tommy was probably the biggest star on the L.A. sports scene and he could have done a lot for both his son and to help others with the disease. He chose to do neither. He's a horrible human being.

I lived in the same building as Tommy's son and watched him die unloved by his parents.

On the professional side, that endless steam of Dodger Blue BS that comes out of Tommy's mouth serves only Tommy. He killed Fernando Valenzuela's arm, sabotaged Bill Russell by constantly second-guessing him to management, and is responsible for the current state of mismanagement since he had the ear of Mrs. McCourt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

Andy, I always look forward to reading your stories, and they seldom, if ever, disappoint...even if ones like this bum me out (from a human perspective - I'm a lifelong Giants fan, so I hate Tommy Lasorda, regardless).

I'm going to try and dig up your Tommy Lee story again, to try and feel a little better. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

and all the other panzy hockey players that take cheap shots and then run away until the refs show up to get in the middle when they suddenly get brave again.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Martin Havlat... except he likes to go for the balls.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Martin Havlat... except he likes to go for the balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Players like Barnaby and Avery are gutless clowns, and have gotten jobs in the NHL due to their GMs misguided belief that teams need a "sh*t disturber" in the lineup to rile up the opposition and draw penalties.

Havlat's an enigma, though. He's an incredibly talented goal scorer. He doesn't run around yapping, or giving cheap shots, or trying to goad other players into fights and then turtling...but when he gets pissed off he doesn't seem to have any control over his actions. He viciously cross-checked Mark Recchi in the face two years ago after getting hooked up, and he kicked Hal Gill in the groin this year (and got five games for it). However, both of these incidents just came out of nowhere...it's not like he was constantly doing all sorts of nasty things, and then suddenly went over the line. *Whenever* he does something nasty, it's *always* over the line. There's no in-between with him.

That being said, fans in Ottawa do NOT like his nasty side. There was a hue and cry to trade him after he got suspended for kicking Hal Gill. Lots of Sens fans think he's a talented hockey player, but his antics cause too much of a distraction and hurt the team. And now that he's out for the season with a shoulder injury, I wish that they'd gone ahead and gotten something for him in trade.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:52 PM

Bill Romanowski
Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[There was a hue and cry to trade him after he got suspended for kicking Hal Gill.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a preseason game, no less.