Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: 99 in SB...4 to the flop...$3/$6

Not check/raising this flop is a huge mistake.

With that said, does a solid player on the button ever bet the river with less than a Queen after being called in two spots on the turn with what is a relatively drawless board? I think I could find a fold either there or on the turn.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:36 PM

You are giving up some value by not 3-betting preflop but doing so can put you in some tricky situations OOP in a big pot, so I definitely can see the merits to calling (and I think I would do so frequently). Also, your relative position allows for a ton of check/raising opportunities. But then you didn't c/r [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 01:53 PM

Thanks everyone for the comprehensive feedback. I think my biggest blunder on this hand was not c/r the flop.

I understand the points made that when I call down passively like this I'm simply paying off hands that beat me and letting cards slide off cheaply to hands that can improve.

Again, thanks for the feedback and I'm excited about contributing to SSSH as I continue to work on my game.

FWIW, villain had AQ in this hand.

Greg H.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:38 PM

Preflop, Seems ok u could prob re-raise him but i think 99 stinks and SB smells worse. So its cool.

Flop, Well you're either behind or ahead, So either fold or raise.

Turn - Now your behind AA-TT, Any 8. If you think you're ahead you should have riased the flop as now you're potential far behind.

River - he bets again, your behind or ahead? I reckon behind from the turn for sure, maybe even the flop.

So raise the flop or fold.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A nice way to look at these situations in 6max is to take the top card away on the flop. Just pretend it's not there or replace it with a 2. Which means that you have top pair. So checkraise this sucker, force out the other two players and take the hand down on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

if everyone here starts doing this, i've gotta hunt down some 2+2ers fast! That'd be awesome.