Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 07-13-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: What\'s your favorite (variation or made up) home game?

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT under any circumstances use good/expensive cards for this game. Use old Bicycles or Bees or just dollar store cards.

Clear an area of anything breakable. Place a table anywhere in this room. Leave chipstacks on the table. Make a relatively large ante (eg 0.50 for a $1/$2 game).

Button rotates, the dealer shuffles the cards, walks to the centre of the room, and then spews the cards all over the place. Full contact no holds barred free-for-all to make the best 5 card hand and get to the table with it. The last person to arrive at the table is automatically folded. The remaining players have a round of betting (preferably No Limit) starting to the left of the button. Best hand wins. Usually played at the end of the night when everyeone is too drunk to sit at the table anymore.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:01 PM

double flop hold 'em...
Old 07-13-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know the name, but 5CS H/L declare is good times.
-Criag
/quote]
this is the only good answer

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL- My group plays this game but we "roll your own" and last one stays down. We also play 7 stud split this way sometimes as well. Because we roll our own up cards, the bet rotates.

Also for a wild game, we play Kings and Deuces, which is a 7-card stud hi/low game with Kings wild if you go low and Deuces wild if you go high.

For an action gambling game, we play a game called Hitchcock, which is a "Guts" style game. It's dealt like the Cross poker game, everyone gets either 3 or 4 cards and there are communinity cards in shape of a cross or X. Everyone ante's 50 cents or a buck and its played match the pot, so if you lose you match the pot for the next round. There are no betting rounds and basically everyone declares if they are in or out after looking at their cards. Before the dealer looks at his cards he flips over the outside of the X (4 cards) and arranges them however he/she wants (like making a flush or straight draw, etc), but the middle card is kept down and flipped after everyone declares. The catch is if no one goes in, everyone flips the cards and whoever would have won the hand, matches the pot and the pot doubles. Usually we have cap on the pot, like $20.

Have fun,
G$
Old 07-13-2005, 05:27 PM

super hold'em, three dealt hole cards. can use all three or just two. i usually play with only using two and it still creates a lot more action with all the skill of hold'em. flushes and straight all over the place though, at least to worry about. pre-flop sees much more action especially.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:12 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas. I'm really looking forward to trying these out and throwing a little excitement back into our stale home game.

Much appreciated.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:46 PM

Guts can be BRUTAL it is fun though. Blind man's bluff as well.

My favorite crazy game of all time is Vanunu or whatever it's called, Danny N had an article on it (did he invent it? I dont remember) a while back, it is a serious blast where kids can gamble have a good time and hand reading skills will earn you nice.

It's 7 card stud hi/lo no qualifer roll your own the whole way with a pitch and buy on the end and declare.

Search Danny N.s archives its probably still there.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
THERMONUCLEAR PINEAPPLE

I think I read it on this site somewhere...

Anyways, flop/turn/river hi-lo game. 5 cards dealt to each player.
Toss 1 after the flop, another after the turn, another on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play that, but the discards are shuffled and the board is dealt from them. So if you get 4 of a suit, you throw in the low cards to try and make your flush come.

Also,we play triple board Omaha - the top board is hi only, the center board is hi/lo split (8 qualifier), and the bottom is lo (no qualifier). Also, double board Omaha hi-lo.

But the fave is Beat The Board. It's 5 card draw, straight, and then, to win the pot, you must beat the 5 cards on top of the deck (the board). The Board gets 3s, 5s, and 7s wild. If you can't beat the board, the pot rolls over, and the card on the bottom of the deck determines a wild rank for the players in the next hand.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:15 AM

My friends and I played dealer's choice before we got into holdem tourneys.

My favorite game was 5 card draw with 2 draws of 2 cards.

steve
Check out my home league: <font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font>
Old 07-23-2005, 07:28 PM

Mine is "Grundy County Auction"

All players get five cards. Five cards are put face down in the middle of the table. The first card is turned over and players can bid for it. High big takes the card, then discards a card from his hand. Then players bid on that card. When no one bids on the card, it is turned over and the second card is turned up. This continues until all five cards are finished with. Then you bet on your hand and winner takes all.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:48 PM

Default HOmaha

My friend likes his "Homaha" - Omaha Hi, Queens are wild, Straights don't count. He likes Queens best and can't read the board when he has straights, so he finds this levels out the opposition.

Regards,
Pete Harris