Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 04:20 AM

Default Donking big pot for image?

Hey I have been trying a new strategy as of late at the 6max tables becasue they tend to be a little more observant than the ring games. Within my first few hands, I like to make a big play with a [censored] hand and show it. The observant people at the table will probably make a note of my donkish play and tend to loosen up and call down with worse hands/make plays against me. Obviously following this hand I will tighten up and wait for a monster so I can get paid off (hopefully).

Anyways, here is an example of a recent donk hand gone bad. I wasn't sure if I should have made this turn bet - the villian is an unknown so I am really not too sure of his holding. Perhaps top pair good kicker (def. not AK, maybe KQ, KJ, or K10) even possible he is slowplaying a set. I just thought that my bet on the turn was my last chance to get him off of his hand and I still keep a few bucks and it looks as if I had a monster (because I am keeping a few dollars).

What do ya'll think? Should I have just shut down after he called flop or was this last bet worth a shot? It would have been cash money if he folded and I showed because I am sure that every player at the table would have taken note of this extreme maniacal play (and hopefully then adjusted their own).

***** Hand History for Game 2894479483 *****
$25 NL Texas Hold'em - Thursday, December 15, 02:36:42 EDT 2005
Table Table 36591 (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: ASingleSecon ( $23.70 )
Seat 2: iggiedude1 ( $22.47 )
Seat 3: RoyRounder ( $65.45 )
Seat 5: Filly123 ( $20.25 )
Seat 4: HERO ( $25 )
RoyRounder posts small blind [$0.10].
tonyhawk559 posts big blind [$0.25].

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to tonyhawk559 [ 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
Filly123 calls [$0.25].
ASingleSecon calls [$0.25].
iggiedude1 calls [$0.25].
RoyRounder folds.
HERO raises [$1.75].
Filly123 calls [$1.75].
ASingleSecon folds.
VILLIAN calls [$1.75].

** Dealing Flop ** [ K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
HERO bets [$5].
Filly123 folds.
kbcbugg has joined the table.
VILLIAN calls [$5].

** Dealing Turn ** [ T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
HERO bets [$10].
VILLIAN calls [$10].

** Dealing River ** [ 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
HERO checks.
VILLIAN is all-In.
HERO folds.
VILLIAN does not show cards.
VILLIAN wins $40.02

Another question: Do I waste my last 5$ here to see what he has? That would have not only given me some sort of read on villian but also would have made me look like SUPERDONKTASTIC CALLING STATION. I feel like I could have done better here, although I probably gave myself a fairly bad (or good) image in the process.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Donking big pot for image?

I don't think this is a very good strategy. I think you are far better off just playing solid poker. Especially at the 25NL tables. You may think they're observant, but they are not. Even when they do realize what you did, they usually don't change how they play, and will still just play their own cards.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:40 AM

Hmmmmmmmm, true I see what you mean. This is more of a live game strategy then, huh? What a waste of 20$, sigh lol.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmmmmm, true I see what you mean. This is more of a live game strategy then, huh? What a waste of 20$, sigh lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bad strategy. It will only work on observant players who suck at poker. Unless your plan is to hit and run then good, observant players will watch you over many hands and draw conclusions based upon that, not a random hand that you lost.

A better strategy is to play position and bet your strong draws. Bad players will think that you are a chaser and will pay off your better hands later. The difference is that you are playing solid poker while establishing your donktastic image.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:03 AM

Moreover, you're better off showing a solid hand and taking down pot after pot with not as strong of a hand since you see aces what, 1/212?

Point being, you don't want them calling you down everytime you raise you can't possibly have the goods all the time.