Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 05:52 PM

Default \"All-in\"...then walk away from the table?!?

I've been noticing this "move" alot on the televised tournaments. Player A goes all-in then disappears from sight! WTF?

I'd like to see a rule saying you must remain in your seat until action is complete on the round (ie, all-in gets called). This "going all-in, then running to hide in the crowd" junk is so bad for poker, IMO.

Does anyone else despise this chicken-bleep play?
Has anyone seen this during their own tournament play?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: \"All-in\"...then walk away from the table?!?

[ QUOTE ]
This "going all-in, then running to hide in the crowd" junk is so bad for poker, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that no matter what is shown on TV, somebody will think it's bad for poker.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This "going all-in, then running to hide in the crowd" junk is so bad for poker, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that no matter what is shown on TV, somebody will think it's bad for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]Ok, forget the "bad for poker" comment. What do you think about a player going all-in then leaving the table? Obviously to hide and prevent giving off tells.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Ok, forget the "bad for poker" comment. What do you think about a player going all-in then leaving the table? Obviously to hide and prevent giving off tells.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that is not obvious. A very obvious alternative explanation is that they're just releasing stress.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that is not obvious. A very obvious alternative explanation is that they're just releasing stress.

[/ QUOTE ]
I see you avoided answering my question for the second time.

BTW, I think you have a bad read on the "releasing stress". If that's the case, why not walk away from the table after their pocket 3s hold up? Better yet, why even watch the Flop, Turn, and River after your all-in bet is called? What could be more stressful than that?

I re-raise...
Old 10-28-2005, 06:51 PM

Oh, you mean before their opponent(s) decide whether or not to call the all-in.

From your OP I thought you meant when the cards are turned over and people walk away or turn around or whatever. I think Dynasty assumed the same.

Didn't Kevin McBride go all-in and then run to the bathroom heads up with Scotty Nguyen at the final table of the 1998 WSOP. Yea, that was a dumb move.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I see you avoided answering my question for the second time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the question is what do I think of people getting up and walking away, I think it's no big deal and nothing needs to be done about it. Let people play their hands the way they want to and don't tie their hands with restrictive rules.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I think you have a bad read on the "releasing stress". If that's the case, why not walk away from the table after their pocket 3s hold up? Better yet, why even watch the Flop, Turn, and River after your all-in bet is called? What could be more stressful than that?

[/ QUOTE ]

We've seen several examples of people walking away from the table after a hand and not watching the flop, turn, and river cards being dealt.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been noticing this "move" alot on the televised tournaments. Player A goes all-in then disappears from sight! WTF?

I'd like to see a rule saying you must remain in your seat until action is complete on the round (ie, all-in gets called). This "going all-in, then running to hide in the crowd" junk is so bad for poker, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you care?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you care?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you care that I appear to care?

OK, I'll answer your question-instead-of-an-answer. If you follow the trend...sunglasses, hats, hoods, leaving the table...(follow the progression and insert guess here).

...at some point the poker table will look like a Halloween party with Chewbacca and Ronald Reagan masks the norm with players going all-in from the bathroom using their cell phones.

No one is tell-proof. Even some of the top pros "hide" at the table (Hellmuth, Ferguson, etc).

Just sit there and put on your best poker face. Walking away is the ultimate chickenbleep move, IMO.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...at some point the poker table will look like a Halloween party with Chewbacca and Ronald Reagan masks the norm with players going all-in from the bathroom using their cell phones.

[/ QUOTE ]