Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Big stack play

[ QUOTE ]
"On the bubble it's criminal not to do so"

I think it's criminal not to do it here as well. You have a great advantage, so you should make the most of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how do you generally play as big stack 7 handed?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the interesting response. Your post always contains some great NL advice.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's like solving a logic puzzle to outguess what your opponent think about you. Of course if bb think button is maniac who would push any two, he just need to call better than average hands. So as you said, it depends.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'est La vie. This wasn't meant to be a trick question. I think there is a very simple and logical answer. I also think that it is easy to define. For example, I would call with AA. What other hands?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you get down to 4 people at 10/1-30/3, the average stack is 2000. 1600 doesn't look so impressive anymore.

If I get to 1600 early, I went to get 2400. At 2400, I want 3200.....

You have a huge advantage at this point. You can bet 250-300 when in position and they need a big hand to play back at you. Usually, they won't because it will cost them their whole stack to do so.

Here, the worst that could happen is that I end up back at 800 like everyone else. Oh well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the answer I like to hear, but how?

The problem for me is usually I keep folding and eventually we are 4 handed and I still have 1600 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this line of thinking. I will often reraise allin, putting the pressure, and decision back on the big stack (as long as I am giving him significantly less then 2:1 pot odds to call). This is a very effective move. It's also the best way to accumulate a large amount of chips with just one hand. It generally compares to 3 blind steals.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:42 PM

Not that this is the answer, but ...

If player A goes all-in from SB and BB has 800 chips, BB doesn't really care if player A has 2000 chips or 800 chips. So, you certainly don't have more FE. You might have a little less FE because BB will more likely think you have a worse hand. Also, the 10BB 'rule' goes for your opponant as well as for you (raise them allin if they are under 10BB).

So, in general, I don't think you having a bigger stack should make you loosen up at this point.

I went through a phase where I was losing too many chips in situations like this where I thought I could afford it.

That said, I completely agree with the 'it depends' comments and have stated before that I think Gigabet's advice about thinking carefully about each hand was the most valuable piece of advice I had read. I wouldn't have needed that advice when I was playing off-line, but on-line I am a lot more prone to play without thinking.

Not that a game proves anything, but the last SNG I played in there was a huge stack who got that way being successfully aggressive early (not that I advocate it, but he was pushing most of the table around) just pissed away his chips as he kept being super-aggressive out of position with weak/marginal hands against an increasingly desperate field. Pretty much everyone doubled up off him and he was OOTM.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with this line of thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm not sure what the hell I was talking about. That sentence wasnt what I meant. Very sleepy today. I posted a reply later that made more sense (hopefully).
Old 02-11-2005, 06:10 PM

"So how do you generally play as big stack 7 handed?"

At 50/100 or higher? Generally the same way I'd play a normal stack. Constant raising in position. The big difference to me is that with a bigstack, I'm more willing to push into situations where there's a good chance I'll be called (maniac, shortstack). Ie as a normal stack, you don't wanna take a coinflip for your tournie life, but as a big stack you can afford to take these risks. My range of hands pushing vs a shortstack or maniac will be looser when I have a big stack.

It's 9:07am here (haven't been to sleep) and my mind isn't really working write now.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:27 PM

I'll take a crack at this.

First off when deciding to push, the consideration should not be what SB and BB should its far more important to decide based on what they would call with. I believe this was discussed in an earlier thread.

Regardless, I will try to answer this as what would I call with in the BB. I think my range is AA-QQ, If Button was doing this very frequently I may add JJ. I would probably fold AK. 7-handed with a push from the button, you're probably looking at mid pockets, and I don't want to get involved in calling a coinflip here.

My reasoning is that the next two stacks to my left are small and could be stolen from without much risk (although if the small stacks were any smaller their calling standards would be much lower and thus it would be more difficult to steal)
Old 02-11-2005, 07:55 PM

all in every other hand if they are playing too tight, sit and wait if they play too loose
Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 PM

I agree with your calling hands.

Now, if instead of pushing she raises 500. Your getting
650 to 400 to call.

How does this effect your calling hands or is it push/fold?