Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 12:05 PM

Default what\'s the best line here?

Anyone play it differently or is it just tough luck? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

MP2 (t1470)
CO (t1030)
Button (t780)
SB (t615)
Hero (t770)
UTG (t1970)
UTG+1 (t755)
MP1 (t610)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 raises to t125, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls t95.

Flop: (t265) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 bets t125, Hero calls t125.

Turn: (t515) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

River: (t515) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets t150, MP1 raises to t510 (All-In), Hero calls t210.

Final Pot: t1235
Old 01-26-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: what\'s the best line here?

I don't like your check on the turn. I think about a 2/3 of the pot size bet here is the right move. You don't want to give a free card here, cuz after the board pairs he could be drawing to a boat. If he raises you, then you've got another decision. But giving a free card here is a bad move IMO.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:23 PM

I am actually plan a check raise since he raise and bet on flop. If I bet out, he is going fold unless he has Jack, AQ or big pocket pair. I feel I can induce more weak hands to bet into me this way. I am not sure though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 12:25 PM

Pre-flop, there are 170 chips in the pot and you have 740 left = 23% of your stack in the pot. I would push pre-flop. I know the original raiser does not have a ton of chips, but I still think he may fold.

Flop - You have the nuts but 3 face cards with two spades can be scary. I bet or check-raise all-in.

Turn - I'd push this one.

When my stack is on the small side and the pot is decent, I prefer to take it down as soon as possible.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:05 PM

I like a flop c/r all in. There's plenty of turn cards that will make you gunshy (pretty much any spade, T, J or Q will do the trick).
Old 01-26-2005, 01:31 PM

If MP1 bets 125 on the flop he's left with about 350. He's either completely bluffing or he's got a hand he's willing to go down with.

This seems like an easy check-raise all in on the flop, especially given that just taking down this pot on the flop if he folds is T400, not an insignificant amount.

You still would have lost, as any hand that ended up beating you with the Jack isn't going anywhere on that flop (QJ, JJ, QQ, TT). Well, unless he hit the 5 on the river.

WJ
Old 01-26-2005, 04:18 PM

so what happened?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:35 PM

Not being result oriented, he shows QQ. He is certainly not going anywhere. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 04:44 PM

No, this is not tough luck to lose this hand. You need to make your move on the flop, which is highly coordinated for other hands that beat yours given the pre-flop betting. I've been burned many times by this type of flop -- its hard to see past the fact that you've flopped a straight. Bells start going off -- "I've got him!", and you ignore the fact that he has outs with his 2-pair, set or flush draw.

I would either make a healthy bet on the flop, or check-raise all-in on the flop. I would rather shut down the action on the flop and win from his fold than risk ruin (which I am assuming happened, based on your "tough luck" comment).
Old 01-27-2005, 01:29 AM

Rachel, I am in a different camp perhaps. I believe in chip accumulation early. That being said, I don't mind just taking the pot after the flop. You set villain up perfectly for the checkraise, but chose not to execute. Obviously, in hindsight you know villain isn't going anywhere, but you've got the goods.

Before your flop bet there's 390 chips in the pot. Not bad for a days work. Take the chips, or make him pay to draw. Alternatively, your call would suggest you were ready to let this hand go.

Hindsight being 20/20, the only chance you had on this pot was to take it down on the flop.

Another reason to consider pushing on the flop (assuming u don't know their hand) is that you don't want to share any fruit. What if they have AQ? Now a K comes, and all for naught.

What do you think?