Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 10:51 PM

Default AJo In SB

Blinds are 75/150
short stack pushes in UTG+2 for 1200. I have AJo in SB with 2500 chips, call or fold?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Re: AJo In SB

fold, pot isn't nearly big enough to justify calling off half of your stack.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:18 PM

Its very hard to answer this question without knowing more information such as the type of player who moved all in (agressive, tight, loose, ect.) Im assuming its a full table and early in a tournament. If this is the case, then this is an easy fold. You do not have that strong of a hand and if you lose this pot your tournament life is crippled. An important rule to remember is to not risk a large portion of your stack on a 50% shot and I do not see how you could be more than a 50% favorite here.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:45 PM

Obviously reads help in putting villain on a range. Villain has 8bb and ought to be open pushing a pretty big range even from early position. You're probably 55:45 favorite or 50:50 vs. his range and the blinds are significant relative to stack sizes. So you push to isolate.

Exploiting small edges is what multi-table tournament poker is about. You've got 16xbb and have to forget about any expectations that you likely get your money in as a huge favorite.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain has 8bb and ought to be open pushing a pretty big range even from early position. You're probably 55:45 favorite or 50:50 vs. his range and the blinds are significant relative to stack sizes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumes that Villain is playing how he ought to be playing.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:58 AM

push...this hand plays well against his possible range of hands... if you lose the showdown your situation is hardly hopeless.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:56 AM

I'm not sure what to do in the actual hand, but I do have to say this...

[ QUOTE ]
your tournament life is crippled.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope to disabuse you from using the phrase 'tournament life' when discussing strategy.

[ QUOTE ]
An important rule to remember is to not risk a large portion of your stack on a 50% shot and I do not see how you could be more than a 50% favorite here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, but I disagree with this one.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:57 AM

Without any reads - I don't like a call here as you are nowhere near desperation mode and your hand could easily be dominated by some of the hands in villains range. True, villain could be pushing Ax here or even KQ, Kx and other marginal hands but until you have a better idea of the hands villain is pushing in this spot I like a fold here.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:16 AM

any limpers before short stack pushed? if so, you may be caught in a sandwich for half or all of your stack with marginal hand. Any limpers, then definite fold, BB still to act also, how many chips does he have? Leaning toward a fold all around here, he pushed his short stack in early position with possibly anything, but too many hands have you dominated right now. I put him on AQ or AK and pick a better spot where i am the aggressor.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:24 PM

easy fold. what are you hoping he's got, AT?