Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2004, 01:16 AM

Default KK in CO against Uber LAG (Playing against maniacs)

A problem I have with my game is controlling my losses against maniacs. I don't have trouble extracting the maximum from them when I win; that's easy against a LAG. But it's hard to turn off the faucet when the chips come flowing out.

In this hand, the button is the Uber LAG. His VPIP is around 85%, and his PFR is around 70%. He will raise literally any 2 cards. Its a wonder he folds any at all, becasue I have seen him cap with 72o.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

I know with 95% certianty that Btn will raise PF, and everyone will call around to me. Thats why I limp-raised; becasue I thought it had the highest +EV in this particular scenario. I almost never limp-raise.

Flop: (17 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

SB is somewhat unknown to me, but I am a little concerned he is better than bad. On the flop &amp; turn, my goal is to protect my hand from SB any way I can. I'm trying to get him to fold. When he finally didn't fold the flop, I crawled in to my shell and went in to check-call mode. I think this was WEAK.

Turn: (14.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds,

Finally, SB folds! I know that the Button will not fold no matter what I do. If he has none of the flop, button will check-call to the end. If he has as little as A-high or any part of the flop, he will lead and re-raise all the way to the river. These are his only 2 plays. The problem with this is he just as easily have 73o for bottom pair, or QQ for nut set. I dont know of any way to get information from this type of player.

<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

River: (22.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 30.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 30.50 BB, between Hero and Button.</font>

So, how did I do? Knowing what I knew, how do you play the LAG?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:35 AM

Default Re: KK in CO against Uber LAG (Playing against maniacs)

nice hand
Old 10-01-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Re: KK in CO against Uber LAG (Playing against maniacs)

If Button is as wild as you say (ie. raising and re-raising A-high or better on all streets), your strategy against him is generally fine as is going for a limp-reraise PF if you think it's 95% likely he'll raise behind you. However, I think you should have bet out on the turn. You are probably still ahead and checking risks giving a free card in a big pot if Button has worse than nothing. More likely, betting out would allow Button to raise and therefore mean that SB would have to face calling two big bets cold to stay in - this would be the best way to get SB out.

Oh, and if Button showed down a better hand, you still played it right if your read on his strategy was correct. But one thing to bear in mind is that many maniacs will slow down on the turn and particularly the river - in particular, after Button raises the river, your 3-bet is only correct if you believe you are still a better than 2-1 favourite.