Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Re: wow foxnews is biased, look at headlines right now

[ QUOTE ]
"Fair and Balanced" is an especially good lie becuase is propagates the myth that every single other traditional news source is part of the Liberal Media. Think about it, cons are CONVINCED every network, every newpaper, every cable station is liberal. You would think one station or paper would, you know, try to do objective jouralism, but no! Liberal Media!!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but alot of the Media Elite is. It's not hard to see that. I'm not a conservative, and I will admit if Fox, in general, leans to any one side it is the right. I say this because of shows Beltway Boys, Fox N Friends, etc. I agree Hannity is a bully, an idealogue, and selects what facts he wants. But so does Colms, he isn't a bully, but he is just as bad as an idealogue. Still Fox lets everyone on that wants to get on. The liberal arguements that are made on Fox are no worse than the ones on CNN, ABC, and CBS. I know because my room-mate and I watch all of them just to keep ourselves in check. We have the News running 24/7 in our house. My favorite news station is Fox News because of Shep Smith, and (gasp) O'reilly. Although sometimes even I dislike O'reilly, and other times I like him, I don't think you can really say he has a motive for the left or the right.

Again, I love the Hitler comparison. I see what your saying, but I'm not convinced. Don't misunderstand me, H&C and O'reilly need improvement but they aren't super clever con artists conning the entire nation.

You go ahead and believe what you want to believe and I will continue reading the Economist, rcp, pnac, Lee Harris, Shep Smith, O'reilly, Thomas Friedman (from NYT's), William Kristol (weekly standard), CSPAN, and reuters. As well as numerous online forums. And you go ahead and keep on thinking FNC is Nazi like war propaganda.

Is that ok? Or is that not fair and balanced enough?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hannity lies and is a bully. Its no contest and its set up to be that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is complete BS. OK maybe not the bully part. But he's certainly not the greatest debater there ever was. They had Robert Kennedy on the show when he wrote his book and all Hannity could do was yell at him about some passage where he likened the Bush administration to Nazis. He just kept being mad about that and refused to talk about anything else. He looked like an idiot. (For the record, I would have gotten mad about it too, were I Hannity, but I would have dropped it once my point was made and moved on).

[ QUOTE ]

This is Fox's MO. They try to give the impression that they are Fair and Balanced, so that your typical uninformed American thinks they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't consider myself an uninformed American, and I think they are less unbiased than most of the media. But in no way do I say they are totally unbiased.

[ QUOTE ]

Why do you think they emphasize "Fair and Balanced" as their motto??

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they are relatively more fair and balanced than the rest of the TV news stations?

[ QUOTE ]

Sure some people will see that they are a propaganda machine

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever consider the fact that you might not be looking at it with an open mind? Let me give you an example.

When CBS published the report with the forged papers regarding Bush's military service, it took Fox News 3 weeks to report the story. One possible reason for this is that "Fox News is biased Republican, and they didn't want to say anything bad about Bush". Another possible reason is that they wanted to wait for confirmation on the story before publishing it. And these documents were SUCH OBVIOUS FORGERIES (they look like they were done off a laser printer and Microsoft Word), yet FOR SOME REASON all the other networks jumped on it like it was the hottest thing since sliced bread.

[ QUOTE ]

"Fair and Balanced" is an especially good lie becuase is propagates the myth

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a myth.

[ QUOTE ]

that every single other traditional news source is part of the Liberal Media. Think about it, cons are CONVINCED every network, every newpaper, every cable station is liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that at all. I think that CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Time, and Newsweek are all biased liberal. That's such a large chunk of mainstream media that it often get's incorrectly generalized to the liberal media, but it's not everything and I never said it was.

If you want an example of why I think these sources are biased liberal, why did none of them publish the Dalfour report's findings about how France was being bribed by Saddam to oppose us in the war, yet conveniently they all talk about how the Dalfour report said that Saddam had no WMDs and was unable to get any. They also don't talk about how many millions of dollars Saddam paid them for conventional arms in the last year, nor about how Saddam was buying rocket fuel for long range missiles. I wonder why that would be?

An article on the aforementioned subject

[ QUOTE ]

You would think one station or paper would, you know, try to do objective jouralism, but no! Liberal Media!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can also think of plenty of Conservatively biased media. Fox is one. But it's not as biased as the aforementioned media, IMO. The Weekly Standard. The National Review. townhall.com. But apart from Fox, these are not nearly as widely circulated.

Off the top of my head, the least biased media that I can think of is the Wall Street Journal.

Have you ever stopped to consider that it might be possible that you think they are so far biased simply because you disagree with them?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Bush Blooms, Kerry breaks wind

Stu Pidasso, I agree, CNN = Communist News Network.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although sometimes even I dislike O'reilly, and other times I like him, I don't think you can really say he has a motive for the left or the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well..... I think I'm going to have to go with BK_ on this one. O'reilly is pretty clear to the right IMO. But I still watch him because he always lets both points of view be aired on his show.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Why do any of you care?

I don't even get Fox News, just their Sunday morning program, which seems fair to me, 2 libs, 2 cons and whatever Wallace is. The mainstream media is obviously left, those who think not are even further left so the media seems central.

My point wasn't Nazis or conservative or liberal. The question was why care? The point is Goebbels and others from both sides have always known that control of the media is one of the essential elements in control of the people.

So we should care, which is why libs should be glad of Fox, Drudge, Limbaugh, etc., and why cons should be glad of Tom Brokejaw, Peter Lemmings and Dan Blather.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will admit if Fox, in general, leans to any one side it is the right

[/ QUOTE ]

"If Fox...leans"...we are so far apart. Can we just leave it at agree to disagree?

[ QUOTE ]

You go ahead and believe what you want to believe

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay.

[ QUOTE ]
And you go ahead and keep on thinking FNC is Nazi like war propaganda.

[/ QUOTE ]

It not "Nazi like war propaganda", it is "like Nazi war propaganda".

[ QUOTE ]

Is that ok? Or is that not fair and balanced enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is ok with me. No, its not fair and balanced enough. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]