Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-30-2005, 05:47 PM

Default New to 6-max and I have a few questions...

I've been playing full ring for a little while now, and I've decided to play some 6-max to see if I can make a better profit, so as a beginniner, I have a few questions about 6-max compared to full ring.

1. Should the blind be played the same as full ring? i.e. complete with 2 suited cards, etc...

2. Should you value middle pair fairly highly on the flop?

3. Basically, should you play more aggressively than in full ring? Like push with your overcards more?

So far I'm enjoying 6-max more than full ring, it seems to be faster paced and I seem to be able to outplay people more.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: New to 6-max and I have a few questions...

i am new to 6 max also
but i have found

#1 depends on table makeup
#2 depends on flop texture and how people are playing
#3 yes much more aggressive and I am less likely to lay down
2nd pair since people play crap and stay with it way too long.

last week had KK and flop comes an ace so I bet and guy calls.
turn is a blank I bet he raises now bells start to go off.
so i check the river and he flips over 75os he tried to bluff me out on the turn with nothing.

Now I am in no way saying I am good just that people play much more aggressive and at time very bad.

peace
wwonka
Old 11-30-2005, 06:01 PM

I think we're all learning, since there isn't a hell of a lot of published literature on 6-max.

SB strategy
Two junk suited cards (82s): If you're a beginner I would avoid playing these because you're not giving up much by folding. I still fold this crap, and stuff like J7o until I get better.

Consider playing mediocre junk suited cards (T6s) from SB when it's limped all around. You're getting 11:1 on your 1/2 bet.

Generally, speculative hands are lower in value and big cards and pocket pairs are higher.

The value of middle pair depends on the number of opponents, the possible draws on the board (for you and them), the rank of your kicker, and the rank of the overcard (Is it 983 or A83 ?) Opponents are obv more likely to have an A than a 9.

Aggression should go up, but still be selective. Your ability to push people off hands decreases if you're too aggressive. But if you mainly value bet, semibluff somewhat regularly against normal opponents. (bet strong draws often)
Old 11-30-2005, 06:07 PM

You didn't mention a limit but I'll take a generic stab to get you started.

First tho', your "better profit" stmt - are you doing okay in ring? If not maybe 6m will suit you and maybe you'll get massively flogged. 6m may be low-hanging fruit but it also has its own challenges, incl. that it can be very tough mentally at times (or all the time in my case).

1. Besides killer cards there's no simple answer; 6m tends to be very tbl/villain-dependent and if you're picking on the wrong ppl w/the wrong hands you'll get killed;

2. Definitely; but again, like everything in 6m, it really depends on who/how many you're against and what sort of standards they have;

3. You HAVE to play more aggressively but not like an idiot. Don't check your brains at the door just because chips are flying. Going against psychos w/weak hands is a rush but you can also lose a lot of dough pretty fast if you're not adapting to others.

Mike
Old 11-30-2005, 06:11 PM

See these helpful threads

Wookie's Baby steps

6max link post by Guido
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM

Pushing with overcards more is not inherently a good idea at 6 max just because there are 4 fewer players around. You push with overcards when your hand reading (combined with player reading and the board texture) suggests that you have the best hand. These situations arise in full ring play, too. Dietlime was already kind enough to link to my more complete thoughts on the subject [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-30-2005, 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm only playing at 5/10 cent limit, so the game is very soft. (I should really deposit more money and play higher, but I'm taking the slow road and trying to perfect my game as I work up)

I'm liking 6-max a lot better than ring, at least for the limits I'm playing at, because when I was playing ring, I was having a lot of trouble knocking people out of the pot. I was starting to get frustrated when 4 people would stay till the river and catch something to beat me. So far, from what I've played in 6-max because it's easier to get people out of the pot and make it heads up, so I can outplay them.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm liking 6-max a lot better than ring, at least for the limits I'm playing at, because when I was playing ring, I was having a lot of trouble knocking people out of the pot. I was starting to get frustrated when 4 people would stay till the river and catch something to beat me. So far, from what I've played in 6-max because it's easier to get people out of the pot and make it heads up, so I can outplay them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This mentality, I think, is going to lead you to problems whether you play 6-max or full ring. Knocking people out of the pot is not necessarily a good goal for a poker player. The goal is to adjust your play to take advantage of someone else's mistakes. I thank the poker gods every day when four people cold-call my raise with AA, because I know that in the longrun it's going to be a very profitable action for me. So what if my KK gets cracked twice a session by donks calling down to the river? These are the same people padding the pot with bets when they hit bottom pair and don't improve.

If you really think you want to play on tables with better players, hit up a 2+2 table sometime. I think you'll find it much harder to make money there.