Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Overpair on a paired flop (noob post)

I'm fairly new to FL (I mostly play NL), so here's my thinking for the whole hand...

CO has vpip 11% (over only 32 hands, but at least it rules out him being a super loose/passive typical fish type)

Villain has vpip/pfr 20.4/1.4 over 147 hands. I dont think he bets the flop as much as he should, but I think he's a winning player.

Texas Hold'em $0.25-$0.50

Hero [ K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($0.15), BB posts blind ($0.25).

PRE-FLOP
2 folds, Villain calls $0.25, 1 fold, Hero bets $0.50, CO calls $0.50, 2 folds, BB calls $0.25, Villain calls $0.25.

FLOP (8SB)[board cards 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
BB checks, Villain checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

I check because the only hands that draw out on me are an Ace or smaller pocket pair. Hopefully I will induce a bluff or at least convince them im bluffing when i bet the turn (if they don't). What hands are realistically going to call a bet on this flop (and those that do are surely more likely to fold the turn UI?).

TURN (4BB) [board cards 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
BB checks, Villain bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, 2 folds.

I thought I had to look for overcalls (at the time) because only hands that beat me will stay in for two bets cold (and if the BB has 2 pair, for example, then he has only 2 outs and is not getting odds to call). Villain is likely to be bluffing and I thought I would make more money from him by letting him bluff the river than by raising here. There are few straight draws I let in, but Im now thinking maybe I should have raised this to cut out flush draws.

RIVER (6BB) [board cards 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Villain bets $0.50, Hero?
I think I'm ahead of villains range of legitimate hands, so I'm thinking I should raise this (even though he probably folds any bluff) and grudgingly call a 3-bet?

Any comments on any streets appreciated.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Overpair on a paired flop (noob post)

Bet the flop, bet/raise the turn, bet/raise the river. (The raises being in the case of your flop check.) If you're beat, Villain is going to check/raise the flop. If you're crushed, Villain is going to check/raise the turn.

This board is harmless, especially against VPIPs <21. Very few pocket pairs are folding here. I think QQ-66 all look you up.

It is generally incorrect to slowplay.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:24 AM

butchered postflop. People will suck and will call all the time. You missed a LOT of value here. You are suffering from the weak-itis.

A great poster once said, "People like to cal. I like to let them."
Old 12-23-2005, 10:38 AM

Keep betting until you get raised.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:39 AM

bet the flop.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A great poster once said, "People like to call. I like to let them."

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol. I'll remember this one.
Thanks for the advice all.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:58 PM

Your postflop "thinking" sucks. You should be betting and raising at every opportunity, unless you're played back at or an ace falls, in which case you need to reevaluate.

The ONLY place where this doesn't apply is also the only place you apparently considered raising...the river. He's not going to call a raise with anything you beat, but he'll 3-bet you if he's got you beat. There just call, or if checked to bet/call.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:03 PM

grunch

You gotta bet the flop, you want them to play suck along and build the pot for you. The flop is harmless and they aren't going to be able to further define your hand based on the flop's texture. Bet/raise the turn, bet/raise the river.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:13 PM

Grunch:
Bet the flop. A lot of people will still come along. You need some bets in this pot. How often do you get this hand?
Bet and raise turn. Bet and raise river if no one has played back at you.
Also use the hand converter, It makes the hand a lot easier to read.
Cat