Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-14-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Help me out here. Books that I should and shouldn\'t buy.

You can definitely chop off a bunch of books from that list, and there are a few more that you should add. My recommendations are as follows:

For omaha 8: Get Super System 2 and High Low Split Poker For Advanced Players. Don't bother with Winning Omaha/8. The material in that book is tight/weak IMO and beginners strategy is covered better by the two other books. How To Win At Omaha High Low Poker is not a good book. It has a few useful bits of info in it, but it also contains so much bad info that you shouldn't read it until you are good enough at omaha to recognize what advice is good and what advice is bad.

For Stud: 7 Stud for Advanced Players is the only worthwhile book I've read, although there may be a decent book out there for small stakes games that I haven't read.

I haven't read any books on your list, so I don't feel qualified to comment. However, The Biggest Game in Town is a quick read and a great look into high stakes poker back in the days of Jack Strauss and Stu Unger.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 AM

Do what Moneyline said, and use the free slots to get the entire Ciaffone bunch of books. (PL&NL Poker, Improve your Poker, Middle Limit Hold'em, Omaha Poker. The last one might be hard to find, look for it used. You really want this book for your omaha library. No kidding.)
Old 11-14-2005, 01:26 PM

The Biggest Game in Town by Anthony Alvarez is a great fun read, about the early-ish days of the WSOP.

Anthony Holden's Big Deal is very entertaining about the author's attempts to be a "pro player" for a year, back in the 1980s.

David Spanier's collected poker columns in The Little Book of Poker and other volumes.

Roy Cooke's very unique Real Poker volumes -- this last one combines entertainment with strategy advice.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For Stud: 7 Stud for Advanced Players is the only worthwhile book I've read, although there may be a decent book out there for small stakes games that I haven't read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Full-length book, yeah, although Ashley Adams' book is not a terrible book for beginners, albeit a tad on the weak-tight side. However, I actually got more out of Chip Reese's chapter on Stud in the original _Super System_ than _7CSFAP_, which IMHO is the only non-outdated part of that book that applies to a game that is still widely spread today (Sklansky's chapter on Hi-Lo Split is great, but it applies to Stud Hi-Lo with no qualifier for low...useful to me in my home game since that game is actually among the ones on our list available to choose, but not probably generally useful today as we may be one of the only rotation-system home games that still plays that variation [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ).

--Scott
Old 11-15-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Omaha Poker (Ciaffone).... You really want this book for your omaha library. No kidding.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You really do want this book. I got mine from www.gamblersbook.com, it's a ring-bound photo-copied version but still worth every penny.