Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Flopped straight

Scenario: Party 100+9. Fairly early on but a fairly loose table. I have been playing tighter than most and have only shown down two hands where I had sets vs shorter stacks which I busted out.

Blinds 30/60

Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Button (1575)
Seat 2: Hero SB (2245)
Seat 3: BB (1915)
Seat 4: UTG (1220)
Seat 5: UTG+1(1430)
Seat 6: UTG+2 (890)
Seat 7: MP1 (1585)
Seat 8: Villain MP2 (1540)
Seat 9: MP3 (1760)
Seat 10: Cut-off (585)

Hero: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG folds.
UTG+1 folds.
UTG+2 folds.
MP1 calls (30)
Villain calls (30)
MP3 folds.
Cut-off calls (30)
Button folds.
Hero calls (15)
BB checks.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]

Hero bets (90)
BB folds.
MP1 calls (90)
Villain calls (90)
Cut-off folds.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]

Hero bets (200)
MP1 calls (200)
Villain raises (800) to 800

Hero ????

Would also appreciate comments on my flop and turn bets
Old 12-05-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Flopped straight

Preflop: Easy complete

Flop: I'd bet more here. You're not even betting the size of the pot, and this is a pretty draw-heavy board. There are a multitude of cards I don't want to see on the turn (any spade, any 6, any 8). If the flop hit anyone else pretty hard, they'll be more than happy to play along. Then your decision is pretty easy.

Turn: Again, I'd bet more along the lines of the size of the pot. And the raise seems a tad out of line for someone who just filled up, and even moreso since he just called your flop raise on this draw heavy board. I'd say he's got A5 more often here than 77 or 44 and he doesn't like MP1's chase and wants him out. He's probably putting you on top pair or maybe an overpair like 88 or 99 and wants action.

I put both players to the test here and push, with a great chance of tripling up. If someone has 68 or a boat, so be it, but I can guarantee you they're not putting you on a flopped straight.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:06 PM

I'm going back and forth on the flop bet. It's a draw heavy board and I'd want to protect it against multiple players. The question is whether or not leading out or check-raising is best. I think I'd lean toward a check-raise here expecting somebody to bet the flop. Plus, I wouldn't want my bet to be called by the BB or MP and thus creating odds for others to come along.

I can't believe the villain filled up on the river. If he did, oh well. There are too many other possibilities of trips, two pairs, and draws for me to fold here. I'd go ahead and push given that he's pot committed.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:08 PM

Hero pushes and expects to be called by a set of 5's - his flop call on a draw heavy board and against 2 opponents isn't likely 2pair, set, or 68 and his turn bet looks like he has a hand now and wants the field thinned or the draws to pay - best guess is 56 or A5s. He might have played those more aggressively on the flop against 1 opponent but since the pot was large, it was multi-way, and the odds were good he decided to just make the call.

I'm fine w/ the flop call. I prob would lead the flop w/ a bigger bet - like 175.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:25 PM

Lets analyze what you're up against here. MP1 looks like he's on a flush draw, and probably with 2 overcards as well, as he has shown no aggression, yet has shown that he is willing to call a variety of bets. Villain most likely hit trip 5's here, and his large raise makes sense to chase out any flush/straight draws. If he had full house, I believe he would not raise 4x, and may even wait until river to raise. He doesn't want to lose customers with full house. I think your play here is to push all-in. This should get rid of MP1 on his draw and may get rid of villain, even though you welcome a call from him with three 5s.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:28 PM

I push it here. I think there was very good advice about the check-raise and then a pot sized bet on the turn.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Results

My thinking on the flop was to keep at least the over pairs in and try and maximise this flop. I agree that I should have bet a little more but was worried that might look like a flopped two pair and therefore would not get action. On the turn raise by villain I put squarley on A5 possibly suited.

I pushed, MP1 folded and villain called showing J 5o - not sure what he was doing in the hand in the first place frankly.