Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: MTT IQ Test

I don't have the history, but one that comes to mind is a FT hand where I had 99 UTG with 15BBs. I had just suffered a pretty bad suckout (AQ vs AT) and lost the chip lead. I had led for so long that I undervalued my stack, pushed and got called by JJ and went out in 5th. I could have easily avoided getting knocked out there by not panicking. Another spot came up last week, 5th in chips with 21 to go, I raise it up with JJ, get an all-in I cover behind me, get reraised by a guy who just barely has me covered, and I call anyway. JJ vs. AQ vs. KK. The call was +EV, but the right thing to do was fold. I didn't tighten the second raiser's range enough considering our stack relationship.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys... though I think I am going to have to go into a few more details.

I need a test that is quick to administer, I am going to need quantifiable results, and thus sadly, that poker wizard who doesn’t know what implied odds are may fail the test. As long as the test is a good indicator of the general poker playing population that’s all that is important. As I am going to be going for as large a sample as I can get, it’s just not practical to sit down and analyse each person’s individual game. I need something like a 20 questions test that can generally separate playing abilities.

I am going to be using what is known as an eye scanner, which basically records where people are looking when they perform a task. I then show them some set scenarios of poker tournaments and they are to tell me what they would do in each situation, the point of the test isn’t their answer, but where they look on the screen to derive their answer.

The 20 question test that is done prior to the eye tracker experiment needs to show who is a good player, and who is a bad player, and hopefully, the eye tracker will show similarities between each group as to which information they take from the screen.

So back to the original problem, can anyone suggest some questions I should use in order to devise this 20 question 'IQ' test? (i use the term IQ loosly, just helps define the sort of thing im looking for). Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Jon

(p.s. I am off to bed now because its 3.30am, but I will respond to any replies in the morning)
Old 10-07-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: how to rate players

[ QUOTE ]
uhm Bankroll would be a good indicator of skill.

The more money they have the better player they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

As evidenced clearly by Joseph Hachem, far and away the best tournament no-limit holdem player in history. A full 50% better than his nearest competitor, Greg Raymer.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: how to rate players

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
uhm Bankroll would be a good indicator of skill.

The more money they have the better player they are.

[/ QUOTE ]uhm uhm uhm, did u read his post?
bankroll isnt the only thing to base ability on, u could be a rich lawyer and suck

[/ QUOTE ]

oh you mean like "what's the best way to create a successfull small business person".....give them a large successful busines to start with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a really large bankroll and I always go all in on the first hand of every MTT I play.

Fear me you [censored] [censored] [censored]. In fact just transfer your entry fee to my account on stars. PM me for it.

Edit: Dont hate me cause my [censored] got by the censor. I didnt do anything but hit post.

Edit again: I'm gonna censor myself in these uncertain times.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:23 AM

This sounds like a great, fun idea - but extremely complicated...I would be very interested in seeing how you progress and/or being a guinea pig.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:43 AM

If you have 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

and the table reads

J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

You expect your opponent has at least one of the above cards, Name a card you need to improve your hand to win?

----------------------------------------------------------

Entry question

Which is better a Straight or a Flush? (I have so many friends who ask me all the time)

------------------------------------------------
Terminology test of sort...

What does Under the Gun mean?

-------------------------------------------------

What does the button Signify?

---------------------------------------

What is the worst possible starting hand in poker(assuming hold'em)?

--------------------------------------

There must be a billion questions you can ask you need to scale them though...thats up to you, those should get the ball rolling type deal tho.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:48 AM

Cheers robzor, that’s the sort of stuff I am looking for. Hadn't thought about actually asking them if they know which hands are worth more, getting them to write the hands in order of worth from Royal down to High card could be an easy filter of the amateurs.

I guess I could have sections in the test.

Terminology - would be an easy section to write and to mark.
Theory – Standard poker theory like implied odds, and MTT theory like attacking the bubble.
Outs and Odds – Working out the outs certain hands have, and the probability of hands winning. Could go from the basic all-ins through to some rather complicated scenarios. (I prefer this to ‘how would you play this hand’ questions, as it involves similar analysis, but it has right and wrong answers).
Poker rules – Which hands are better, when can you raise, what’s an under bet that sort of stuff (thanks robzor hadn’t actually thought about the rules of the game!)

Cheers guys, this is definitely giving me a better idea. I should have Terminology and Poker rules covered. What I think I need now is some help devising some complicated outs and odds questions, so I can differentiate a bit between the more experienced players. And any complicated theory questions people might know? Hopefully there will be some questions you come up with that I can’t answer, would make the test a bit more valid.

Also, I will be referencing this thread in my dissertation, so don’t worry about Plagiarism, anything I use will be properly referenced with the credit going to the right person.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
Old 10-08-2005, 12:20 PM

I expect my check in the mail :P

gl with the study
Old 10-08-2005, 03:25 PM

Sure thing rob... might take a little while with the cross atlantic post and all that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2005, 09:30 PM

Ok I am really getting stuck on MTT theory, can anyone suggest some questions i could use?