Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 05:17 AM

Default couple of AQ hands: weak-tight

5-10 at borgata this past wknd. i'm running white-hot and cover the table. in lp i raise AQ of spades to 40 after 1 limper. button calls, sb calls, bb reraises the minimum to 70. limper (pretty solid from what i've seen; has around 1500) cold-calls the two raises. i call, button and sb both call as well. flop is QT5 two diamonds, no spades. sb checks, bb-reraiser checks, i'm about to fire a 200-250 bet if it's checked to me when the limp-coldcaller bets 200. i fold.

later in the morning, i limp in mp with AQo after a limper or two, 4 or 5 of us see an unraised flop of AQ3 two spades. checked to one of the limpers who bets 25, i make it 75, bb checkraises to 200 straight. first bettor drops, i call. turn is an offsuit J, bb checks again, i bet 300, he checkraises again, to 800 total with 1300 behind (i have him covered). i can't remember the last time i was dumb enough to get checkraised twice in the same hand. almost out of sheer embarrassment i come thisclose to pushing, but after agonizing i fold once more. yuck.

for those who know him, rocco was sitting next to me in hand 2; i told him afterwards what i laid down and he said i should've played for it all, if i lose i lose. thoughts on that assessment? comments welcomed on any part of either hand.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Re: couple of AQ hands: weak-tight

Both are read dependent, IMHO.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:43 AM

Barring a strong read, I'm pushing the turn in the second hand. To many hands he can have here that you have crushed.

- Kripke
Old 08-29-2005, 08:21 AM

You definitely want to check the turn behind on second hand. Villain checkraises a bettor and a raiser on the flop, then checks the turn. He is either done with it or about to put you in a horrible spot. Keep the pot small, plan on calling a river bet.

The first one is a bit tougher. With the BB still to worry about, I think you have to fold. Sometimes in this sort of spot I will call and see what he has to say on the turn, but there are too many players/draws around for that here.

-muz
Old 08-29-2005, 08:42 AM

betting the turn in hand two is so so bad. wow. i hae no idea why you would do this. when he threebets the flop, it looks like youre prob beat (333), but jeez thats a helluva laydown.
when he checks the turn, i would be happy he just gave me the freebie... you def got four outs here if youre behind... i mean, A3 could check the turn feeling that was bad card, but so what. check it back and pick up some $$$ on the end.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 AM

have you seen the BB make this gay minraise OOP before. what do you think this freak has? id prob make a big move PF after the limper called the 70 and reraise to 370. if the BB calls, id shutdown unless i flopped something.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

for those who know him, rocco was sitting next to me in hand 2; i told him afterwards what i laid down and he said i should've played for it all, if i lose i lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this advice is less than stellar [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 08-29-2005, 10:16 AM

Rocco plays there 24/7 and is solid, so he must have had some insight in to how this other guy plays that was influencing his decision.

I don't know why I sweat this guy, but I do.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:56 PM

I like folding in hand 1, you've got a well-defined hand and limpyboy is saying, "I hit my set, I can beat one pair".

I like playing for your stack in hand 2. Your hand is not defined as top two pair, and villain could easily be overplaying a smaller two pair instead of the K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 33 he is representing.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
betting the turn in hand two is so so bad. wow. i hae no idea why you would do this. when he threebets the flop, it looks like youre prob beat (333), but jeez thats a helluva laydown.
when he checks the turn, i would be happy he just gave me the freebie... you def got four outs here if youre behind... i mean, A3 could check the turn feeling that was bad card, but so what. check it back and pick up some $$$ on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]
when he 3-bet the flop, i put him on 33, worse 2pr, or flush draw getting frisky. when he checked the turn, on one hand i didn't want to give a free river to a flush draw, on another i thought i was valuebetting against worse 2pr. of course when he c/r'ed me again i felt stupid and regretted not checking behind.