Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 12:08 AM

Default what levels does WLLHE apply to?

I have read WLLHE before and am considering playing more limit hold em' in the future, although I stopped playing limit and switched to SnGs a while ago. Does anyone know about what level online WLLHE applies to before you start getting in over your head and need to branch out?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: what levels does WLLHE apply to?

I'll let others here answer your question but I can suggest to you that Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller is definatlely the next step up for your game. I also started with WLLHE and it is a GREAT beginers book, however SSHE took my game to a whole new level. It intoduced some concepts that I hadn't even concidered before.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:45 AM

I would suggest not going any higher than 5/10 using the information available in WLLHE. Once you hit 6/12 and higher I think you should have a good understanding of SSHE.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest not going any higher than 5/10 using the information available in WLLHE. Once you hit 6/12 and higher I think you should have a good understanding of SSHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, my recollection of that book isn't perfectly clear but I figured it would gas out at 2/4 or 3/6. I actually ordered SSHE today. I feel like my understanding of STT poker is sound for the levels I'm playing at and I don't really have anything to immediately read about to improve my game in that area that I know of, so I'm hoping to learn LHE again. If I'm ever good enough to earn around 1bb/100 at 15/30 playing 3 or 4 tables I'd be pretty happy.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:32 AM

It claims it is good even at 6/12. I recently read it, 2nd ed. I also just bought SSHE. I figure SSHE will be better even at 1/2-4/8?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 AM

SSHE is certainly more advanced than WLLH. I suggest fully understanding WLLH before trying to digest SSHE. Although many posters around here will disagree.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure SSHE will be better even at 1/2-4/8?

[/ QUOTE ]

SSH is better at all limits than WLLH 3rd ed.

Around the $20-$40 or so live game you should be playing less like SSH and more like Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players. Before that point, SSH is your biggest asset (along with concepts from HEPFAP and especiall Theory of Poker).

If you REALLY want a good place to start pre-SSH, try Ed's other book: Getting Started in Hold 'em.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 08-04-2005, 12:37 PM

I hope I don't come off sounding like a NIT, but thinking about the game in levels is incorrect. Yes, lower levels are usually looser than higher levels but you need to think about it in terms of the texture of the game.

How many players are seeing the flop? How many are cold calling raises? Setting an arbitary standard like, I'm playing 5-10 so I should play like this; or 2-4 plays like that causes you to think incorrectly about the poker game you are currently playing.

If only two or three people see the flop then you need to be playing along the lines of Holdem Poker for Advanced Players or Middle Limit Holdem regardless of the stakes.

If six or more are seeing the flop everytime and cold calling raises, the Ed Miller is King regardless of the stakes.

Thinking in terms of game texture instead of the betting limits will help you as you move to higher stakes. I play at Caesar's IN and sometimes the 10-20 game is very tight and aggressive, 2 or 3 to the flop and nobody gets to limp in and sometimes it is loose and passive, six or more to the flop and not very many raises. So if I said, this is 10-20 and I have to play like so, then I would be playing incorrectly when the game is at each end of its extreme. Actually, I don't play when it is tight and aggressive because I am not good enough. I only play when it is loose and passive because that is when I have an edge.