Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 05:38 AM

Default AQo, TPGK out of position.

Prima NL10.

Just sat down, 3rd hand at the table so no reads, seems like the usual passive prima NL10 game. First two hands were something like JJ and AJs which I raised preflop and won both on the flop after betting out, not sure if this looks like im raising everything and trying to push people around or if anyone even notices these things at this level.

preflop: hero is UTG+1 dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Fold, Hero raises .40, Villian calls .40, everyone else folds.

flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets .80, Villian calls.

turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets 1.50, Villian calls.

river: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero ??

What do I do on the river here? I dont like putting more money in with just top pair vs a passive opponent who has been calling everything but if I check it is a good opportunity for him to bluff at the pot. My turn bet seems kind of weak, bet closer to the full pot on the turn?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: AQo, TPGK out of position.

I agree with pretty much your whole analysis. With all those ugly undercards and now the diamonds, too, you're in bad shape.

Your choices, IMO, are check/fold-to-a-bet or bet/fold-to-a-raise. Some people would fire out a "blocker bet" here, just to reduce the chances of him trying to bluff the pot. Maybe bet like $2 or $3 and fold to a raise.

Don't be surprised/disappointed to see him turn over AT, A5, or, less likely, A4.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:39 AM

blocker on the river, like half pot
Old 12-11-2005, 01:07 AM

So would most people agree a $2-3 blocker on the river is better than checking? I feel like I cant be ahead very often here so I do hate putting more money in.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So would most people agree a $2-3 blocker on the river is better than checking? I feel like I cant be ahead very often here so I do hate putting more money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a question of what your average opponent is likely to do. The only read you have on this guy is that he'll call to the river with ... something. So, do you think your average opponent is waiting for the river to get aggro with his flopped two pair, or is he more likely a donk with bottom pair, or on a draw? Even if he does have two pair, he might be weak-tight enough to just call the river, afraid of some crazy monster in your hand.

Without reads at at $10 NL (is that right?), I'd block, cuz I think it's less likely that he's tricky, and that's really all you fear.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like putting more money in with just top pair vs a passive opponent who has been calling everything

[/ QUOTE ]

hes not a passive opponent, hes a calling station. if you view him as passive then you know he wont bluff and this is an easy river check. hell either check and you turn up a winner having him outkicked, or hell bet his flush and you can fold easily. passive players give up on hands when they dont have too much. if you mean hes aggressive then there is a good chance hell bluff at the pot at which point i check call a reasonable bet.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:07 AM

There is no reason to think that you don't have the bast hand.Heads up,the back-door diamond flush is extremely unlikely.He very likely has an A or a 10,& will pay you off when you bet $2.You can't be afraid of monsters under the bed if you want to develop your no-limit game.Good luck.