Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Can guys and girls be just friends?

Social conventions like 'Don't cheat on your girlfriend'. Common sense like 'This probably won't work out well if I cheat on my girlfriend with one of our mutual friends'. I'm not really sure why this needed explanation.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:45 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harry Burns: You realize of course that we could never be friends.
Sally Albright: Why not?
Harry Burns: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
Sally Albright: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
Harry Burns: No you don't.
Sally Albright: Yes I do.
Harry Burns: No you don't.
Sally Albright: Yes I do.
Harry Burns: You only think you do.
Sally Albright: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
Harry Burns: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you.
Sally Albright: They do not.
Harry Burns: Do too.
Sally Albright: They do not.
Harry Burns: Do too.
Sally Albright: How do you know?
Harry Burns: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
Sally Albright: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.
Sally Albright: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU?
Harry Burns: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
Sally Albright: Well, I guess we're not going to be friends then.
Harry Burns: I guess not.
Sally Albright: That's too bad. You were the only person I knew in New York.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Social conventions like 'Don't cheat on your girlfriend'. Common sense like 'This probably won't work out well if I cheat on my girlfriend with one of our mutual friends'. I'm not really sure why this needed explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was poking fun, but apparently social conventions ARE the reason you aren't cheating on your girlfriend. Let's hope, for your sake, that she doesn't read 2+2 in her spare time.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:54 AM

A. That conversation ROCKS

B. Social Conventions are the only reason anyone doesn't cheat on their GF. You can't equate love and cheating as being mutually exclusive as a law of nature. I could love my GF and cheat on her if that was the social norm, without it affecting my feelings for her,
Old 11-21-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was poking fun, but apparently social conventions ARE the reason you aren't cheating on your girlfriend. Let's hope, for your sake, that she doesn't read 2+2 in her spare time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You are dumb.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:36 AM

I can't be friends with anyone I want to have sex with. I can be friendly, but friendship isn't my concern.

Edit: I wanted to add on to this. When you see an attractive person there is no way to be friends with them. Your mind has connected them with being an attractive sexual mate. Your interest will always be in making this happen and while other legitimate relations can occur this will always be the primary subconscious desire.

Anyone who disagrees with this is absolutely full of it. Imagine you are very hungry and your job is to deliver pizza. You understand that you are not allowed to eat the pizza, even though in theory you could, it is just not worth it. That's why you don't. If a miracle happened and for some reason the pizza became yours you would certainly bite the crap out of it.

This is the truth behind male-female relationships between attractive people. The only expection is people who are friends before they find each other attractive (maybe friends as kids or something). In this situation I have no idea what goes on.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't be friends with anyone I want to have sex with. I can be friendly, but friendship isn't my concern.

Edit: I wanted to add on to this. When you see an attractive person there is no way to be friends with them. Your mind has connected them with being an attractive sexual mate. Your interest will always be in making this happen and while other legitimate relations can occur this will always be the primary subconscious desire.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're an idiot. So what if you think someone is attractive? Are you so shallow that you can't put that aside and focus on more important things? Any rational, caring person will rank the benefits of friendship above stupid, lame, subconscious attraction. If you can't bring yourself above this, you're either A)extremely perverted, or B)extremely self-centered.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who disagrees with this is absolutely full of it. Imagine you are very hungry and your job is to deliver pizza. You understand that you are not allowed to eat the pizza, even though in theory you could, it is just not worth it. That's why you don't. If a miracle happened and for some reason the pizza became yours you would certainly bite the crap out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
This analogy makes absolutely no sense. Why does the pizza all of a sudden become yours? The analogy worked perfectly before your lame "miracle" happens. Any decent self-controling person would see that keeping his job and getting paid outweighs eating the pizza. Exact same for a friendship with a girl.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:44 PM

Straight men cannot really be friends with women. Not the same as they are friends with their male buddies.

Leykis 101. Mandatory listening.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Straight men cannot really be friends with women. Not the same as they are friends with their male buddies.

Leykis 101. Mandatory listening.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is, of course, absolute crap. Some of my best "buddies" are female. Even ones I find attractive! Crazy, isn't it? Some of us are actually capable of getting past that.

The problem is that neither the people who can't get past that nor the people who can are capable of understanding each other, and thus spend time yelling at each other and quoting romantic comedies instead of just realizing that people are different from each other.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes.

But only if they're not even the slightest bit sexually attracted to each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this work?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...

but thats the point I think. in case there is the slightest bit of sexual attraction there will be more than just friendship. not necessarily in the beginning. maybe it takes years...