Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Totally lost - QQ Party 30/60

[ QUOTE ]

this issue confuses me a bit as well (and i think a lot of people), after reading miller's chapter in sshe, which discusses waiting till the turn to raise.

could someone please explain why this situation is not close? what makes this situation so clearly different than the one in miller's book? the pot is large in both, bet will not protect your hand, etc. what conditions are determinative in deciding when to raise?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I will have a go at answering this one. I assume you are talking about the protecting your hand chapter page 163 When the Pot is Extremely Large.

In Millers example when hero had KK you can be fairly sure that the pf capper and flop bettor who is on your immediate right is going to bet the turn. This will allow you on the turn to face the rest of the field with calling two cold.

Now in this particular example (hero has QQ) it is highly unlikely that the first bet on the turn is going to come from heros right its almost certainly going to come from MP1 by the time it gets to hero, raising now will only face one player with calling two cold, hence you will not be able to protect your hand.

Turning back to why raising the flop is the correct play, here are some reasons.

1. As just mentioned due to who is likely to bet the turn we can't wait to try to protect our hand with a turn raise because that just wont work.

2. We more than likely currently have the best hand, so if we can't protect our hand by waiting to the turn we should raise our hand for value.

3. If a scare card like an Ace comes on the turn (with all that pf action it's almost certain someone has an ace, and all the players check to you, you can take a free card and hope to spike a queen on the river because that will now be the only way you can win this hand.