Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Good or Bad for Poker if Matusow Wins??

What do you think it will do for the public opinion of poker if he wins. Aside from the fact of weather or not you love him or hate him, the fact that our " World Champion " could have spent half of the last year in jail on a drug charges. What you guys think?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Good or Bad for Poker if Matusow Wins??

It'll be good for poker. The more drug addicts and ex-cons playing on Party the better. Definately an untapped market.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:40 PM

My mom told me I can't play poker anymore if he wins. She doesn't want me associating with the "type of seedy characters you see on TV." A 'Mouth' win will prolly kill the boom.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:41 PM

I think people are worrying way too much about the winner needing to be someone who is good for poker. Poker is already in the mainstream and millions of people love playing it. The World Series is getting daily coverage in most major newspapers. People who think that poker is for scumbags will think that whether or not a drug dealer wins the WSOP.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:42 PM

BAD! I hate this guy. He's a low-life scumbag drug dealer and him winning the WSOP will give poker a bad image. I'd understand if Matusow was in his teens/early 20's and got busted for drugs, but peddling drugs in his 30's equals TOTAL LOSER in my book [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 01:50 PM

Drugs are sweet.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BAD! I hate this guy. He's a low-life scumbag drug dealer and him winning the WSOP will give poker a bad image. I'd understand if Matusow was in his teens/early 20's and got busted for drugs, but peddling drugs in his 30's equals TOTAL LOSER in my book [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

honest question: was matusow arrested for dealing or simply possession? because if it was just possession/being under the influence, to call him a "drug dealer" is pretty excessive. there are millions of people with drug problems/chemical dependencies (rush limbaugh comes to mind) -- they arent all lowlifes or drug dealers or dirtballs or whatever other term it makes you feel comfortable to categorize them with.

Definitely Good! Mike is an entertaining character, love him or hate him he's entertaining. This year even more so it seems from reading the excerpts from the updates. Can't wait to see the banter match between him and the other guy and Mike shipping him home.

The TV popularity of poker thrives on LOVE/HATE characters as they drive ratings (see reality TV). I think many TV execs will view this World Series and its ratings and think hmmm.. there is something here. The final two tables have had a load of characters, the crowds are HUGE and rowdy and their have been some Major River beats which are always good TV.

For Poker to grow it has to continue to be an entertaining viewers sport on TV and people like Matasow provide this.

Agreed. Having a foul-mouthed dope dealer winning the WSOP will give politicias a poster boy they can use to kill online poker.

Just watch. Matusow + WSOP victory = bad times ahead for online gaming.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How about you people actually get the facts straight before posting. Mike Matusow basically got set-up by an undercover NARC who became very close friends with Mike and asked him if he could get him some cocaine. Mike had a few connections and was able to obtain some and got busted for that. He wasn't selling drugs to little kids, he thought he was doing a favor for a friend and regrets that mistake.