Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 11:35 PM

Default AQ facing a turn donk bet

What are your thoughts on this? Is the fold standard? I'm also concerned about the flop play, so comments about any street are welcome.

Reads
Villain was on his way to earning TAG stats, after 50 hands he was 16/7/2.5

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.67 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.67 BB.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: AQ facing a turn donk bet

[ QUOTE ]
What are your thoughts on this? Is the fold standard? I'm also concerned about the flop play, so comments about any street are welcome.

Reads

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.67 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

My first thought was this is an easy fold. But....
What could he have that has you beaten seeing how he didn't raise preflop? Wouldn't he raise with k/q? He surely would have raised with a/q or a/k. He may be on a flush draw with a pair. 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or something like that.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Reads

[/ QUOTE ]

My first thought was this is an easy fold. But....
What could he have that has you beaten seeing how he didn't raise preflop? Wouldn't he raise with k/q? He surely would have raised with a/q or a/k. He may be on a flush draw with a pair. 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the fold- Many people won;t raise KQ utg, and will also limp with hands like KJ and K10. I think the donk bet represents a better hand than a draw. He probably thought you were raising light and didn't want to give you a free card.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:28 AM

I'd fold because he's a TAG, but call down if he was a LAG.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:54 AM

He also donked the flop. He has QJs.

Raise! (the turn)
Old 11-27-2005, 01:26 AM

Im new to this concept of what a donk bet is? Is there a old post somewhere that explains it?

I read that check-calling the flop and then betting the turn was a donk thing to do, but other than that I havent seen that term much until I joined 2+2.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:28 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

i think this fold is really bad. Call down. He could be betting alot of worse hands on the turn. Plus u have outs if he has a K.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:56 AM

If you assume that villian is going to call UTG and then call a raise UTG with no other callers with only a very decent hand, maybe KTs at worst, then I think you have to assume that his flop bet and turn bet after calling your flop raise mean that your hand is no good unless you improve.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:46 AM

How about a simple call down line?
Old 11-27-2005, 04:58 AM

I would fold here against those stats but I play bad.

I think this is a call down.