Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Overpair with TT, call-down?

First orbit, so no reads. How scared should I be after BB wakes up? Should I just call it down? The pot is rather large now.

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Overpair with TT, call-down?

a cold call 3-bet preflop [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] i've seen people do this with QQ before. pot is too big for me to assume the worst right now, i call down unless a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes probably.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:02 AM

You've represented a stronger overpair than you actually have, and apparently BB isn't scared. He may just have a monster draw, but I think you're probably behind.

I'd call down, I think, but I wouldn't expect to win.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a cold call 3-bet preflop [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] i've seen people do this with QQ before. pot is too big for me to assume the worst right now, i call down unless a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was not a 3-bet cold call, if you are referring to the BB, it was only a 2-bet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So, you're folding if a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes? I really don't see BB capping the flop with just a flush draw after my shown aggression.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You've represented a stronger overpair than you actually have, and apparently BB isn't scared. He may just have a monster draw, but I think you're probably behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my reasoning too; well then, should I've played the hand differently up to that point?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my reasoning too; well then, should I've played the hand differently up to that point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop I'd usually just call the 3-bet. I don't really mind the cap, but I think you're an underdog to Button's range. (I'm not sure what kind of range to give to BB, though my guess is that he's got a pocket pair or a hand like AK/AQ/KQ.)

On the flop, I don't see what else you can do. BB's checkraise is troubling, after all that preflop action, but you want to put pressure on Button, who could just have overcards.

When BB caps, I start thinking a set or a bigger overpair seems very likely.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop I'd usually just call the 3-bet. I don't really mind the cap, but I think you're an underdog to Button's range. (I'm not sure what kind of range to give to BB, though my guess is that he's got a pocket pair or a hand like AK/AQ/KQ.)

On the flop, I don't see what else you can do. BB's checkraise is troubling, after all that preflop action, but you want to put pressure on Button, who could just have overcards.

When BB caps, I start thinking a set or a bigger overpair seems very likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, probably my cap was just automatic, and that's probably not the only time I do such things. On the flop I really wanted to push button out of the hand, so it seemed like the right thing to do even if I'm most probably behind; but I'm not folding this.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:25 AM

Preflop: I don't like capping here.

FTR:I like calling down on the turn and river though. Reads would be nice, but you just sat down so there's nothing you can do.