Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 09:21 AM

Default 2/4 - KK - tough board

2/4 NL - 6-max

I've been open raising a whole lot, but nobody has played back at me even once.

Villain is sitting right behind me on two tables at once. He has previously called my CO raise with QQ from the button, then when a shorty reraised, and I set the shorty in for 100, he pushed for 400 and I had to fold. I have also just seen him call a minraise with 87s, see a flop of 563, pfr hit it, villain called, shorty pushed, pfr pushed and he called.
He's pretty tight, and has some trappy tendencies I guess.

Stacks of about 400
Hero has K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the MP
Villain is MP+1.

Preflop
hero opens for 14, villain calls

Flop (Pot 32)
Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
yuuuuuucccckkkkkkkkkk hero bets 30, villain calls ...

turn (pot 92)
4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets 70, villain calls

river (Pot 232)
Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
hero checks, villain pushes for 260 or whatever .... NOOOOOOO ... and hero does .... ?

Anybody play different on the other streets ?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: 2/4 - KK - tough board

Looks good. I think you are beat after the turn a lot of the time, and river didn't help either. Fold. Given your read, he could easily play QQ, JJ, 99, AKs,AJs,JTs, AQ this way.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:15 AM

Is this river even worth a blocking bet? Straight didn't get there, but thats about it. And I don't really see him calling with a straight draw on the turn anyway.

Check/fold seems in order.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:22 AM

I would fold on the river also, theres too much hands that beat you there and you have demonstrated a lot of strenght in the previous round.

For the flop and turn, your line is probably not bad, but not neceserally the best too. I think that some argument could be made to check the turn because the river will be very difficult to play out of position, but Im not sure on that one.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:26 AM

Yeah that board hurts. I fold the river, given villans range theres too much that has you beat.

Also I think check/fold is in order on the turn, but I can see why some might disagree.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:34 AM

Lots of ppl advocating check/fold on the turn, which is certainly a very reasonable play, but I think my image - of somebody who open raises a whole lot led me to bet the turn in this case, being prepared to fold to a raise.

My best guess for his hand is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Qx. But T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Tx is not out of the question, neither is QJ, JJ, 99 and so on.

I really dont think he has a flush here, but I suppose he could have A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Tx or even just AT.

He pushes with any full house, any Q, any made flush, and he can bluff me here fairly often given my check.

If I check the turn, what do I do when he bets ? Fold ? I could easily have the best hand here.

I dont think I can block the river ... mainly because it is a Q and I dont really have enough stack to block and fold a push.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:47 AM

If you check the turn you have to call a bet imo because you induced it with your check. He will bet with a lot of hands here thinking you have missed.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you check the turn you have to call a bet imo because you induced it with your check. He will bet with a lot of hands here thinking you have missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then what ?
If he bets 100, and I call ... what on the river ? Check/fold ?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And then what ?
If he bets 100, and I call ... what on the river ? Check/fold ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/fold this river yes, if the river is better check/call a small bet and check/fold a significant bet imo. The one pair hands will usually check behind on the river, or bet small.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this logic not apply on the river?