Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Playing poker on public free wifi networks

Just got a new laptop, so how often do you guys play in public places (i.e. starbucks), do you worry about the wireless not being encrypted and your info more or less being out there? I did a search on public, wifi, etc, didn't find anything, if this has asked before just give me a keyword. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Playing poker on public free wifi networks

When I attempted to log on at a Barnes and Noble (next to a Starbucks) I found out it wasn't free. I have played at several hotels/motels. How easy would it be for someone to actually acquire some of my account information? Or would someone be able to see my cards while playing against me?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:46 AM

don't know the keywords or anything...but it has been covered before.

head into the archives for Wifi or public (and also microbob since there's a good chance I was involved in the thread).

1. Starbucks WiFi isn't free unless you have TMobil. Other places are free though (locally owned for example).
jiwire.com has a decent listing of public wifi places (both free and $$....although the list isn't comprehensive...I know of 2 or 3 places in my neighborhood that aren't on the jiwire.com site)

2. I don't know much about the safety and encryption and stuff. But it seemed to be pretty safe according to most.
Because the signal from you to Partypoker is encrypted.
Still, it's not a bad idea to change your passwords a little more frequently perhaps...particularly on the sites where you have significant dough.
But I don't even do this as much as perhaps I should and it's never been a problem.

I play at a public wifi coffee type place 2x a week or so I would estimate and have never had a problem.

Also, when I'm at my GF's place I can get the WiFi signal from the neighbors and have no problem doing this either.

If I really should be significantly more concerned with coffee WiFi places or using a neighbor's signal then somebody who knows what they're talking about FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW.

Anyway, I like it. The flexibility is great.
Nothing beats sitting out on the little patio there (when the weather is decent) with an iced-latte or something and clicking away on the poker-tables and thinking "geez...this is actually my JOB. sure doesn't feel like 'work'."
Old 09-13-2005, 06:57 AM

partypoker data is encrypted so there is no way someone could access any of your passwords or cards etc, even if they did intercept the wireless data.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:41 AM

I was shocked at the daily charge some of these places charge. I was thinking, coffee+sandwich+online poker=good day, but not when it is $6.95/day.

Maybe I will have to replace coffee with a sandwich at Panera.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:53 AM

If the poker software is encrypted, then your pass is safe. If not, it's trivial to grab by anyone else on the same wireless network.

This applies to your email too, so use encryption (outlook / mail options) if possible.

G.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:14 AM

I was refering more to university networks, which most are now all wireless. I didn't realize you had to pay at starbucks, thanks for the info.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:22 PM

Places that charge daily are getting worse and worse.

There are plenty of Starbucks-type places charging $6-$10 a day.
this is also true in MANY airports now....which is really kind of a pain. Because sometimes you get delayed but you never really get told whether it will be 5 hours...or whether you will be able to get on a different flight in 40 minutes.

Also - I stayed at 2 different hotels in Vegas (gold Coast and then Treasure Island) and both places charged $10/day for hi-speed internet in the rooms.

It's stuff like this why I feel the $60 or $80 a month for something like the Verizon wireless card can be worthwhile.
If one travels enough and runs into these situations very frequently it pays for itself.

I can go to Starbucks or wherever and get on the internet with my own card and I don't have to use their $10/day WiFi signal.

However, if you don't have this and are just looking for free hotspots then jiwire.com should hopefully have a couple in your area. (and, again, there are possibly some more that aren't even listed on jiwire)
Old 09-13-2005, 02:35 PM

Most university wireless networks are encrypted very well. Your's does not require a WEP key?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most university wireless networks are encrypted very well.

[/ QUOTE ]
(A) - You're wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Your's does not require a WEP key?

[/ QUOTE ]
(B) It's obvious that you don't know much about wireless security if you think WEP is good encryption. WEP has been proven time and time again to be easily hacked.