Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 04:01 PM

Default What do you do when you flop a monster on a steal?

Man, party is rocky today. I've stolen on this tight table maybe 8 times so far in late position/small blind, big blind is Semi-tight and semi-aggressive and with all the steals I've done by now he'd play back at my suspected unimproved overs with any piece of the flop, I suspect.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>,

Getting too fancy? Would you rather 3 bet the flop? How about Stop and Go on the turn and not risk giving him a free card rather than check/raise?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: What do you do when you flop a monster on a steal?

I play this the same. You can usually count on him betting the turn since he'll be hoping for you to fold.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM

This is not a very good board to use this line. Potential problems...

- Overcard hits and he checks behind.
- Flush card hits and you end up check/raising him with the worst hand (or he checks behind).
- Flush card hits and you have to change your line and lead out to prevent giving him a free card.

The best board to check/raise the turn on is something like K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Very few scare cards can hit (for you or him) and the board is drawless so you can almost always count on a turn bet and a calldown.

Just go ahead and 3-bet the flop here.

Brad
Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 PM

I like it. If you 3-bet the flop, he probably wouldn't cap, and trying a CR on the turn would be a bit iffy. If he was more agressive and sure to bet when checked to, this might work often enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:18 PM

This line isn't awful, but given the draws on the board I would prefer to just 3-bet and lead the turn. If he is drawing to a flush or something he may check behind on the turn and you miss value bets.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting too fancy? Would you rather 3 bet the flop? How about Stop and Go on the turn and not risk giving him a free card rather than check/raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a nice play but like you say yourself: It might be a bit too fancy. I would jam the flop and lead the turn, yes, I would not c/r this turn since I do not want to give a free card on this little but drawheavy board.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:25 PM

Brad makes alot of sense, I never though of it that way. The deck is filled with cards that are either going to scare him if he has 9x or such, or scare me instead. That 3 (or a nonspade 2) was probably the best card I could have turned (besides him tripping or 2 pairing up).
Old 08-23-2005, 04:36 PM

I'd be concerned that a flop 3-bet will really kill your action here. I think the most likely hand for BB is something like 98 (I have a hard time giving credit for a flush draw here) so your point about the overcards is good.

Why not smooth-call the flop, then lead the turn if it's scary and check-raise if it's not (like here)?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:48 PM

This is a risky line. But you know, when the pot is small, I don't object to a risky line like this. I have made similar posts and been criticized for them, perhaps rightly, but I am going to take a minority view here and say that in a small pot like this, it's worth going for the long ball.

I am open (as always) to arguments into why I am wrong -- I may well be, but I'd like to be convinced.

EDIT: Small pot is itself not enough of a qualifier -- the fact that this is HU makes me fear a draw heavy board less.