Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Waiting till the river to raise

Here is a spot where i thought that waiting for the river to raise would be the best play:

live 3/6 @ prarie meadows in Iowa.

only read is that the BB in this hand is pretty loose and bad in general.
Preflop:
i get A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button.
3 callers in front of me, i call, sb calls, BB raises, everyone calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets, 2 callers, i call, sb folds.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB bets, 2 callers, i call.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets, 2 folds, i raise, BB 3-bets, i call.

Did i play this right? I didnt really want to raise the flop or turn because i would just be pumping the pot up for flush draws, and i wouldnt be able to face anyone with 2 bets except the Sb on the flop.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Waiting till the river to raise

I used to play hands like this when I first started. I wanted to fool people and then when it was too late for them to get out, I would spring the trap. I understand this was not why you were doing this.

In this spot the flop is a clear value raise. You have the best hand most of the time here, and pretty decent equity. If you could face people with two cold, you would. This is not going to happen. Since you cannot eliminate anyone and protect the pot, you might as well cash in on the equity you have. If you are lucky, BB will three bet with AK and you can cap.

Yes, flush draws can make a little money, but they don't make money from you, they make money from the other players in the pot. Hands like KQ, AJ, AK (that you'd like to fold but won't) are trapped and will call raises on the flop.

The essence is, you cannot eliminate anyone due to your position to the big blind, so you might as well cash in on your equity.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:59 PM

If you have the best hand and will probably be called by anyone with hearts, a King or a Jack and maybe some weaker aces it would be sad to not let them call you.

You don't have a monster hand. It's a nice hand, that may not even be best right now and is vulnerable to many draws. If you want to wait because you fear the draws, I guess that is one way to play it. But waiting to spring a trap isn't a strategy that makes much money in a limit game.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:08 PM

i personally would have raised the flop w/ flush and str8 draws both being likely you can't let someone catch a free one. besides any 4 to the flush or str8 draw will call another bet. that being said, smooth calling the flop means a definate turn raise. you can trap the 2 callers in the middle and collect. and if your re-raised you can slow down to check/call a blank river. 2 pair is hard to slowplay on a draw heavy board, it can get you into serious trouble against better hands. if you play it strong from the get go:
raise-pf
raise-flop against bad plyr
you will have a much better idea what the others have
Old 11-06-2005, 04:11 PM

i would think the ace and 10 suited on board would mitigate the likelihood of the flush draw (ace suited is such a popular hand). the straight is a little scary, but it's one in 12 to complete each street and you can probably call down with resistance... although i got killed last weekend hitting second pair on river but it complete flush and ace high straight. one of my most painful moments and yes, i should have let it go. i knew it too, but not smart enough.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:52 PM

you guys are right, i should be thinking about collecting more bets instead of how i could get beaten. if i played it again i think i would put a raise in on the turn.
results: <font color="white"> BB shows T7(??????) and my hand is very good </font>
Old 11-06-2005, 05:54 PM

Raise PF raise the flop
Old 11-06-2005, 09:45 PM

Given the texture of the board, I'm not a big fan of slow-playing. You need to bet this aggressively. With all the broadway cards out there on the flop and also with the two hearts, some of your many opponents are likely to have flush and straight draws, so I think you need to make them pay as much as possible to see extra cards.

There are times when you want to avoid building a pot on the flop and instead wait for the turn to raise to make it incorrect for your opponents to call, but I don't think this is one of those times. Even if you are able to spring a raise on the turn, anyone with a flush draw has the correct odds to stick around despite having to call two big bets cold.

In this hand, if you don't raise the flop, I definitely think you should raise the turn. You're probably still a favorite to win the hand, and all the draws will pay you an extra big bet to see the river. On the other hand, if you don't raise the turn, then the draws will all fold on the river if it misses them.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:08 PM

I think you could make a case for waiting until the turn to raise, as there a ton of cards you don't want to see come up. But waiting for the river is really really bad (and as a general rule is bad in multiway pots}, as you are paying off people when they hit their draw, but letting them off cheaply when they miss.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:08 PM

I think that I also would just call on the flop with this hand.

the flushdraws are still getting sufficient pot-odds to call a bet even if you raise and you might scare the BB into just check-calling you on the turn. If you wait until the turn to raise the flushdraws and straightdraws are still getting sufficient odds to call you but atleast you have cut them down some - if BB 3 bets you might be beat or he might be overplaying AK, in which case the odds for the flush/straightdraws are atleast cut down a bit more.