Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Was Steve Martin ever funny?

there wasn't PG-13 back then right? cause thats the rating it would have got.

if i remember correctly it was just G,PG,R...
Old 12-04-2005, 02:53 PM

He has an above average stage presence and is a goodish joke teller. That being said, many on the standup circuits will tell you that he is one of the most infamous joke thieves of all time. I agree with the poster that said he is a good actor.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:55 PM

His book "Cruel Shoes" was also very funny. He's written some hysterical short pieces for The New Yorker, too.

I saw him in concert back in his King Tut days, and he was amazing. I had his first two albums, too, and my friends and I listened to it over and over again. It was amazing how he could actually nail people's asses to their seats at home, or somebody's home, at the height of a Saturday night, something nobody else and no other show could come close to doing. Steve Martin being on SNL was like a commandment to watch that nobody was too cool or too busy to heed.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His book "Cruel Shoes" was also very funny. He's written some hysterical short pieces for The New Yorker, too.

I saw him in concert back in his King Tut days, and he was amazing. I had his first two albums, too, and my friends and I listened to it over and over again. It was amazing how he could actually nail people's asses to their seats at home, or somebody's home, at the height of a Saturday night, something nobody else and no other show could come close to doing. Steve Martin being on SNL was like a commandment to watch that nobody was too cool or too busy to heed.

[/ QUOTE ]
i have agreed with everything you have said in this thread.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:01 PM

You're selling him spectacularly short. Spectacularly.

All comedians steal jokes.

But his stuff was mostly assuming strange personas in a way that nobody else was into at all at that time. People mostly told jokes in more or less their own persona that time. Martin told jokes in the persona of someone who had never been born.

He also stopped doing stand-up like 25 years ago or more. If he was stealing jokes from people's acts, it was probably before they were born.

If you want a real joke stealer, Eddie Murphy is your man. His whole first concert is about 40% Richard Pryor and 40% Steve Martin, minimum. He was funny, but I was amazed that he was given so much credit since I recognized joke after joke, as that was stuff that was actually still pretty current and extremely well known Pryor and Martin stuff.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:09 PM

HE HATES THESE CANS!!!! STAY AWAY FROM THE CANS!!!

funniest [censored] ever
Old 12-04-2005, 03:11 PM

this issue also has a lot to do with context, he is no longer in his cutting edge comedic prime and older stuff does not have exactly the same relevance today. I have seen some stuff on Jerry lewis who was a bigger and possibly funnier comedic phenomenon then anyone else, but much of his humour does not have the same impact now.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:13 PM

Banjo + arrow = funny

Old 12-04-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want a real joke stealer, Eddie Murphy is your man. His whole first concert is about 40% Richard Pryor and 40%

[/ QUOTE ]
he has even admitted this. he admitted this saying that he would memorize pryor's language, mannerism's, voice, movements, everything and at the time murphy was only like 15 so he would just tell the same joke but substitute it with what he had experienced so far and that was fart/poop jokes and masterbation. he then says once he got popular (from his pryor style) that it wasn't till then that he developed his own voice b/c he was accepted now.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're selling him spectacularly short. Spectacularly.

All comedians steal jokes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody swoons over George Carlin, whose 'Seven Dirty Words' is a direct Lenny Bruce ripoff.