Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Was Steve Martin ever funny?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I was about 9 years old I thought he was hilarious in "The Man with Two Brains"...then I tried watching it again a couple of years ago and couldn't make it all the way through without turning it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. i guess i have to repect that he makes films for kids. i guess i loved him in beethoven, but itd be suicide to watch it now. i still remember the girls name was Rice. Which i never forgot because it is the dumbest possible name i ever heard of, and then beethoven beat up her unfaithful prom date. man, that was classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

So was Airplane. Think thats a movie for the kids?

[/ QUOTE ]

i never saw that one, or any of the ones listed in this thread. i was born in 1986, i guess i have to catch up. Anything post 1992 worth seeing?

[/ QUOTE ]

so how many movies of his have you seen? you call all his movies garbage. if you havent seen the jerk or any of the other films listed why are you commenting? just to type?

bwana
Old 12-04-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I was about 9 years old I thought he was hilarious in "The Man with Two Brains"...then I tried watching it again a couple of years ago and couldn't make it all the way through without turning it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. i guess i have to repect that he makes films for kids. i guess i loved him in beethoven, but itd be suicide to watch it now. i still remember the girls name was Rice. Which i never forgot because it is the dumbest possible name i ever heard of, and then beethoven beat up her unfaithful prom date. man, that was classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i never saw that one, or any of the ones listed in this thread. i was born in 1986, i guess i have to catch up. Anything post 1992 worth seeing?

[/ QUOTE ]

so how many movies of his have you seen? you call all his movies garbage. if you havent seen the jerk or any of the other films listed why are you commenting? just to type?

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

more or less
Old 12-04-2005, 02:07 PM

91 for sure. You've been teetering on the brink for a long time. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

When you believe this man to be Steve Martin, anything is possible.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:27 PM

Whether one likes him or not, along with National Lampoon and its influence on Animal House and Saturday Night Live, Steve Martin was perhaps the major force in American comedy in the last 30 years. Only Richard Pryor and George Carlin come anywhere close to that stratosphere.

His movies have never lived up to his talent, but he was a genius in concert, and his records were very good. He won an Emmy for comedy writing (on The Smothers Brothers) before anybody had ever heard of him and before most people on OOT were even born. He was by far the most popular guest, and a frequent one, on Saturday Night Live when that show was at its height and had no competition in the comedy arena, and he was a major reason for that. His "knowing fool" has become a comedy model people have been doing riffs on and making careers out of ever since.

He wasn't just funny, he has gut-busting, cramping funny at his height. Don't judge him by his movies. His forte is sketch comedy and stand-up.

He has done a few funny movies, like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with John Candy, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Michael Caine, and All of Me, I think it's called, with Lily Tomlin. Those were very good, especially PT&A, but mostly he has settled for more mild, run of the mill family fare for his movies.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:32 PM

As Sponger and Blarg said, his early standup was gold. I had both of his original albums and played them to death.

Also, he was funny in an over-the-top, goofy sort of way that was sorely needed in those days.

The time of the Carter presidency was like a suicidal nightmare for the U.S. Being able to laugh at Steve's 'happy feet' and arrows through the head and 'wild and crazy guy' probably averted a national implosion.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:38 PM

i actually have seen planes and trains. man, that movie was awesome. i take it back. steve martin is a comedic genius, and perhaps the most influential comedien of the last 30 years and especially the carter administration.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The time of the Carter presidency was like a suicidal nightmare for the U.S. Being able to laugh at Steve's 'happy feet' and arrows through the head and 'wild and crazy guy' probably averted a national implosion.

[/ QUOTE ]
plus that album was a different direction than most of his predecessors. his roomates and his friends used a more colorful language and talked about edgier issues and continued to push the envelope while steve was the everyman. he touched every household by connecting with everybody b/c he talked about issues and occurences and irony's and problems that happen to all of us. his stand-up was truly original. its why i read his books.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have never seen Airplane?

Although I have no idea why it has been mentioned in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it was PG, but not a "kids" movie.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:50 PM

Planes Trains and Automobiles is an all time comedy classic.