Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 03:46 PM

Default I think I botched this hand... KQo in the CO

Party $10+1. What's your play with KQo when it's folded to you in the CO? I think at higher levels, it's probably an easy push as people's calling ranges won't be stupid. But, at the $10+1, I think a fold could be argued especially since the ONLY 2 people that have me covered at the moment are in the blinds, and people have retarded calling ranges in the 10's. I think the t425 raise may have been bad as well. Since I almost had 10x the BB, the plan originally was to make a slightly less than 3x the BB raise, but fold to a push from the big blind. This was because I was in okay shape with >9BB's and being 3rd in chips -- I didn't want to risk it all with a push. When SB pushed, I realized my pot odds were great and I'd only have 980 in chips if I folded -- and SB seemed to be a little on the loose/aggressive side. So I called (bleh, I know -- probably should have pushed or folded initially). I just think this is a very borderline situation all around, and wanted some feedback.

#Game No : 2350591130
***** Hand History for Game 2350591130 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Trny:13863675 Level:5 Blinds(75/150) - Tuesday, July 12, 03:23:15 EDT 2005
Table Table 35240 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 5: MattR81 ( $1405 )
Seat 9: JUSTTHA2 ( $1421 )
Seat 8: KevinNaka ( $1159 )
Seat 1: The90Rebels ( $1068 )
Seat 2: KJackoff ( $560 )
Seat 10: Flemer ( $2387 )
Trny:13863675 Level:5
Blinds(75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to MattR81 [ Qh Ks ]
The90Rebels folds.
KJackoff folds.
MattR81 raises [425].
KevinNaka folds.
JUSTTHA2 is all-In [1346]
Flemer folds.
MattR81 is all-In [980]
Old 07-12-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: I think I botched this hand... KQo in the CO

I fold here because raising 3x is not an option (and this hand shows why) and I'm not ready to put my whole stack at risk hovering at 10xBB with this hand.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:12 PM

this is borderline and would depend on what i think their calling ranges are. granted, most of the 10 players will call with Ax but some of them are smart enough to fold.

i lean towards folding so im a bit passive ?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:16 PM

After thinking about it a bit more, the play that I think *may* have been the best alternative is to raise to t375 and fold to any reraise. I think a 2.5x BB raise would have given me a good chance to steal the blinds, while leaving me enough chips to play with (I don't know why, but I'd feel better folding if I had 1030 behind as opposed to 980). It also would reduce my pot odds enough if someone else pushes where I could fold more easily. Folding KQo in the CO seems slightly weak to me, and I think this may be a good alternative.

I do think folding is a good play (and better than what I did). Do you think this line may be slightly better though? Just a thought.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:28 PM

You need to be pushing this regardless of level. You severely underestimate the number of times you will also be called with hands like KJ, KT, QJ that you have crushed.

I'm away from my SNG Power Tools, but I imagine this is a solid push against even opponents of looser calling ranges.

There is a problem with pushing from the cutoff at 8-12x BB levels, but it's with hands like QT, 44, 98s, not KQ.

If you're behind, you can always suckout.

Edit: By "level" here I meant $11's, $22's, etc., not blind level. Just wanted to cut that one off at the pass.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:51 PM

When do the blinds go up? How aggressive is the BB? If the blinds go up soon to 100-200 this is an autopush imo. If they just changed, i really like your 2.5 bb raise and folding to a reraise, leaving you still in good shape. Regardless, you cant fold this in the CO; 225 in the pot and you have a good hand in late position. I raise and depending on the read of the villian i might be tempted to call his all in.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:23 PM

Pretty easy preflop push no? You have to call villain's push after raising anyway getting 2:1 and KQ is just too strong of a hand not to play at less than 10xbb from the co. Sometimes you get your money in with the worst of it. That's just poker and if it never happens to you then you're too tight.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:42 PM

This is an autopush. The 3x raise is horrible and folding is even worse. If you are even considering any alternative to pushing here please give me your poker name, and the site you play at so i can mooch a little off of the free money your giving away by not making the correct play.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:45 PM

I pick up t225 here. Push it.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:02 PM

Ahh yes. The often used, "I can't believe you think there might be an alternative play than the one I would do. I must be way better than you so please give me your account name so I can search for you and take all your money."

Given the stack size situation of me and the blinds in this hand, I'm fairly certain that no matter what I do it's a fairly close decision. And yes, since it's close I'm actually considering alternatives to pushing. If you were observant at all, you'd notice all the information you need to find me is in my original post. I frequent the $20+2's, or the $10+1's if I'm playing around with something new in my strategy. Feel free to come take all my money by only pushing and never considering alternative plays.