Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Weekly Big Tourneys - How do you get in?

I've started to play more and more of the MTT's. But so far have not journeyed into the bigger entry tourneys (The weekly supers on Party). Do many of you pay your way in, or play in through qualifiers? I played a few 1-table qualifiers for Super Sat 200k, and am sure I can qualify there in half the $$ I'd have to pay to get in, but is it worth the effort? Just interested in opinions. Thanks!

Nick
Old 06-11-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Weekly Big Tourneys - How do you get in?

use the sats,re buy tourneys to play your first few if you cant stand a few hours work for the ticket,pay in.Ive only ever played big ones on UB not stars as I am new to stars,the most a $215 has ever cost me was $9.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:41 PM

Well I've only ever qualified once, I will just buy in as do the vast majority. Qualfiers are a waste of time IMO. More profitable to just play your normal games.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:09 PM

While it's usually better just to play normal games and blow the 215, the play is REALLY BAD in those qualifiers, so there is some nice overlay, plus you do get some experience.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:45 AM

Nick,
It depends on what is more important to you, your time or your $$$.
Like they other posters mentioned, getting in through a qualifier can be easy, but if you make more $$$ playing your regular game, it may be more profitable to just pay your way in.
Personally, I'll play in the SnG qualifiers as playing multiple SnG's is my regular session, so it fits with what I like and what I am good at.
So figure out what is most profitable (if $$ is your main motive) and do that.
regards,
woodguy
Old 06-12-2004, 08:43 AM

I go through the qualifiers every week... for two reasons:

1) Cheaper when I am successful (3 of 4 weeks I've qualified)
2) Gives me additional practice playing MTTs.

An added bonus is that, when you qualify, you have gathered valuable information on players you will be playing against.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:25 AM

I take a stab at the sats every once in a while. The 36+3 on Stars is usually pretty soft and a good chance. I haven't played a lot of sats but I have been real successful (lucky?) with them. Last night I played in my first Stars $3 rebuy for Sunday. I got a seat but I don't think I'll play in that again. The stalling down the stretch was unbearable. Stars needs to go hand for hand sooner like Party does.

Did I really say that? Stars needs to copy Party???? Amazing I never woulda thought Stars would drop the ball while Party gets it right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2004, 11:39 AM

I agree with most replies here. They are worth it for some reasons, not for others. For instance, back when stars was having FPP sats for both a WPT and WSOP super sat, I won two back-to-back. one with 400 players, one with 650. I felt very confident with my play, but lost very quickly/easily in the next level tourneys. Not for my bad play, but for the different style of play.

There is another good reason to play a sat for, let's say, a $215 tourney--if you don't want to play it, you can unregister and get the $215 entry credited to your acct. That ain't bad for typically a $10+ sat fee, or even a FPP entry.

Finally, I totally agree with another poster that nothing is more important to becoming a better poker player than practice, especially in MTT. I stink at hand-for-hand games, but tend to do very well in sit and goes and MTT. So, it's really a judgement call. I play the FPP and freeroll tourneys all the time because it's fun, and free not to mention the experience.