Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 06:27 PM

Default Right situation for a push???

UB MTT Tourney(500 Bonus Dollar Freeroll)

Blinds are 20/40

I have 1270, and am MP1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I open raise for 160, SB(1585) calls, BB folds....

FLOP(360): J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets 360, I inst-push, SB calls, showing K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

TURN: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
RIVER: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

After the hand, SB went on to bitch about my "catch" on the turn, but I'm just wondering what he was thinking calling my all-in with that hand(let alone the PF raise).....
Old 06-11-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Right situation for a push???

Well, given that this is evidently a freeroll, I would figure you're probably going to get called by any pair. Since his pair took away 2 of your outs (non club kings), that's kind of bad. I'd only push here if I felt there was a reasonable chance that a) he's betting with a draw and you have him bet right now or b) there's a reasonable chance he'll lay down a better hand. Like I said, there's not much chance of b.

You're not that big of a dog though, and if his hand had been Q9 or QJ, you would have been just about exactly even, and while I don't love coinflips, I don't mind them too much if I was the one who pushed.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:32 PM

Seems like a routine push to me. If he folds as little as 40% of the time, you should be showing a big profit.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:53 PM

I disagree with the all-in move unless you think you've got the best hand.

The all-in move is made there if you think you can get the opponent to fold. Even if he calls you have outs to the nut-flush.

By going all-in you are putting your tournament life at stake on the chance of you catching, which is a bad move if there is little chance of the opponent folding.

Since this is a $500 freeroll you have to know he's going to call.

Since you know people are going to almost always call, wouldn't you prefer them to do it when you have the best hand and a nice advantage?
Old 06-11-2004, 08:00 PM

This is an easy all in. You win the pot if he folds and it is almost a coin flip if he doesn't... You have 12 outs twice here. If he didn't have your king blocked you would have 14 outs twice and I believe would actually be the favorite.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:02 PM

Let him bitch,hes like one of those guys who always say you rivered them when they had nothing in the first place.In relation to the what was he thinking querry,you are giving him too much credit.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:18 PM

In a no-limit ring game it's an easy all-in.

In a tournament full off free-roll idiots, it's not the correct play IMO. Why would you put your tournament at stake on a hand where you are a slight dog or slight favorite.

We've already established he almost certainly isn't going to fold. There's a decent chance he might even hold 2 pair so you have even less outs than you thought.

It's an easy call or fold I think. on the turn I'd be willing to push all-in.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:37 PM

If it is correct to push in a ring game. It is also going to be correct to push in the tournament. It is a free roll not worth much I would take any chance I could to amass chips. If I lose here anyways my time is probably better spent playing in another game. You will never win a tournament if you are affraid to put you money in in a positive expectation situation. Especially since he is the person who is pushing in.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:23 PM

Well at this point you've demonstrated that it's not worth debating with you.

Ring games and tournaments are not based on the same principles.

Also, the point of pushing in is to induce folding. If people are not going to fold then it doesn't matter if you are the one who went all-in. You might as well be the one calling the all-in. Either way the best hand is going to win.

Since you don't have the best hand, 50% of the time you will be out of the tournament. 50% of the time you will double up. Good luck making a lot of final tables by strictly gambling. You do realize that .5 raised to the 8th power is 1/256 right? That's not good odds.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would figure you're probably going to get called by any pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see how he calls w/ 22-77. I think this is a pretty easy push, as I think you have value and folding equity.