Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2004, 09:18 AM

Default $10+1 rebuy on Stars. What\'s your flop action?

PStars $10+1 rebuy last night. I'm playing well and in a zone of sorts. The table is somewhat over-aggressive. There are constant min-raises that knock out the blinds.

Blinds: 400/800 Ante: 50

Top 56 pay, ~780 entered.

I'm currently ~60 out of 210 left. Average stack is around 14k.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t5960)
SB (t16075)
BB (t18325)
<font color="C00000">Joe Tall (t21133)</font>
UTG+1 (t20972)
MP1 (t4075)
MP2 (t13654)
MP3 (t48054)
<font color="C00000">CO (t34506)</font>

Preflop: Joe Tall is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Joe Tall calls t800, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t800, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t1600</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Pot Size: 4850, <font color="CC3333">Joe Tall raises to t6450</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls t4800.

Flop: (t14000) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

<font color="CC3333">Joe Tall...</font>

Who bets, who checks?
If you bet, how much?
If he raises, what's your play?

Did I limp-re-raise too much/enough?

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 06-09-2004, 09:44 AM

Default Re: $10+1 rebuy on Stars. What\'s your flop action?

Everything pre flop is very good,post flop youve got to finish what you started,pull the trigger,Id say hes on a pair,whether theres a diamond in there or not who knows but If he had AA he would have gone all in pre flop after that kind of action.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:55 AM

Everything pre flop is very good,

Thank you, I figured I was at the perfect table and spot to pull a limp-reraise. I actually won the last hand and then said to my roomate, "I'm UTG, if I get AA or KK, I'm limp-reraising at this table." Bang, KK!!

post flop youve got to finish what you started,pull the trigger

Push in? I think I'm just less than 2:1 favorite versus a diamond and closer to a coin flip versus the Ace-diamonds.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 06-09-2004, 09:56 AM

Don't mind the limp/re-raise UTG. Think the amounts were pretty good.

Well, this is a key hand and I think at this point what you want to ask yourself is do you want to make it to the money or do you want to win the tournament. If you want to win the tournament, commit yourself to the pot with a big bet or by pushing. I don't want to start thinking about folding if he reraises me. I certainly don't want to give a free card. If I get broke here because the flush comes or he flopped a set oh well.

My thought here is that if I bet anything that doesn't pot commit me, he has the perfect opportunity to bluff me off this pot, since he has me covered.

Of course, you hope to take this down right here. Not too many worse hands are going to call you.

The only other option is to wait for another spot, by check/folding.

He's big stacked so he likely won't call with a single diamond or a pair that gives him a straight draw. He might even lay down a small set if he thinks that you've flopped the nut flush. Here I like to get into people's heads a bit. He's probably been playing solid poker, getting a little lucky, but he's probably already concluded that he will make the money, and he's probably thinking about the final 5. Now here you are risking all that for him. What does he have to have to call you?

All of this depends, as usual, on your table image and your impression of him. Is he your typical blind stealer who will fold when they encounter resistance? Many people are content to back off every once in a while, even losing some chips because they know that they can make it back by continually pushing on the small stacks.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:58 AM

Those odds assume you get a call. You might be able to fold out a pair of 10s or js with a diamond that could get by you, a hand that will certainly bet if you check.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Push in? I think I'm just less than 2:1 favorite versus a diamond and closer to a coin flip versus the Ace-diamonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only single-diamond hand I could possibly see calling you would be A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Qx. I think the most likely calling hand is a medium pair 99-JJ with a diamond (which I guess is pretty much a single diamond for your purposes).

I would push - it's only a pot-sized bet and if you check he'll likely semi-bluff you off the hand.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:25 AM

I know a lot about playing Kings, and and even more about losing with them. Your limp raise here was fine: your big reraise was aimed to win the pot I assume, which is fine when you're up in chips.

But one think I've learned it not to mess around with KK: don't let yourself get sucked out. You absolutely push it here (it actually is about a pot sized bet), and win the pot right there. You're not up against AA. If he's any good he's not playing 55, 66, or 88. So unless you run into AK OF DIAMONDS (a risk you can ignore) you're miles ahead in this hand. The only hands that will call you are big pairs smaller than yours with a diamond, or maybe AdKc (or AdQx).

In any case, they have either 9, 11, or 12 outs IF THEY CALL. You're probably at least 50-50 to win the pot without a fight, and if he calls youre at least 50-50 to hold up. That makes you over a 3:1 favorite to win this pot one way or another. This is no time for games, get your money in.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:42 AM

As others have mentioned great pre flop action. On the flop it's likely he's going to call your all in regardless if he's holding a diamond or not. I'd put him on jacks or queens here, but yeah AK is possible as well. If he's holding some thing like an ace with a diamond then your about a coin flip to win the hand. I think I'd have to push here and hope to get a called by a pair without a diamond.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:00 AM

I cant see your choices here Joe,You have to lead out so if you check or make a small bet he will come over the top irrespective of his holding,sure you can walk away and hang on for a better flop etc etc,but you are staring down the barrel at a juicy pot that if it was a rainbow you would already be in on.If you bet its got to be the pot if its the pot you are all in.

I do not beleive he has AA,He also might have pushed AKs pre flop,If hes any good he really ought to have a high pair which should mean trips are not an option,so if you pull the trigger he should be on a draw if he calls,do you want to let him draw?Does he want to draw?
Old 06-09-2004, 12:20 PM

Pre-flop action is perfect.

I would check here. The pot's slightly smaller and it seems as if the CO likes to gamble. Here's why I check:

If the CO does not have a diamond, you will probably be able to induce a bluff from him and call. CO's probably going to call on anything you bet if he has a diamond. If he has a diamond and puts you all-in, I'd call because the overlay is so great for a coinflip (though I would suspect you would be the favorite if he has something like TdTh). Perhaps this is weak and am not accounting for the probability he folds to your bet, but the main reason I like the check after a big limp re-raise on that board is it's atypical and looks like you're daring him to bet. If he checks, you can proceed a bit easier regardless of the turn card (less an A).