Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2003, 02:29 PM

Default Playing ATo

I am a bit confused on the correct way to play AT offsuit. I know not to play it in early position, but what do I do when I receive it in late position, and 4-5 people have already limped in? I have been folding it in these cases, because I know that it doesn't play well in multi-hand pots. But sometimes I think that I should be raising this hand from late position with 4-5 limpers already, because so many of them will limp with KTo or Q9o, hands which I would dominate. BTW, I play .50-1.00 at Paradise.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Playing ATo

If there are 4-5 limpers in front of you, I usually fold this hand. If there are 0-2 limpers, I usually raise. If there are 3 limpers, it would depend on how tight I think they are preflop and where they are limping from, but I raise a lot of the time here too.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:11 PM

If there are 4-5 limpers in front of you, I usually fold this hand. If there are 0-2 limpers, I usually raise. If there are 3 limpers, it would depend on how tight I think they are preflop and where they are limping from, but I raise a lot of the time here too.

I pretty much agree with the exception of the 4-5 limpers part. I'll usually limp if I don't respect my opponents. If I'm against solid players, and there's any chance that I'm dominated, then I'll fold it.

-- Homer
Old 08-31-2003, 05:54 PM

I think this hand is very game-dependant. In the 3/6 Party games I play I will play it from any position. There are so many people that will play any ace that you will get paid nicely if you hit.

In the 5/10 Paradise games I played it from 4 off the button or closer if there was no raise. Sometimes the games got very tight though and then I'd raise wtih it from EP again to try and steal.

It's not going to be a big money maker for you though so if you're uncomfortable playing it just don't. But I think we worry too much about some of the hands like KJ and ATo. As long as you are careful and know you're opponents, I think you can make money with these hands. You should make more from the bad players when you're ahead than you will lose to the good players when you are behind.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2003, 11:41 PM

I guess I'm usually worried about those passive types who would just call with AK down to AJ. I just don't feel comfortable in a big pot with junky offsuit cards like these...maybe I should open up a little.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:07 AM

I guess I'm usually worried about those passive types who would just call with AK down to AJ.

Bad players don't worry me... good ones do. Having said that, I hate ATo. I fold it if many players have limped in, respect or no respect. I generally just limp with it if two people have limped in front of me. I raise if one weak player has open-limped to me... or if I open the pot. I also only play ATo from late position.

I'm probably a little too tight with this hand... but most players are way too loose with this hand.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad players don't worry me... good ones do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess my logic is that a good player is much more likely to be raising with the hands that dominate me, whereas a passive player could have anything. It sounds like I play this hand about the same way you do, except I like to get a little bit more aggressive with it if theres only 2-3 limpers and I'm in LP.